Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Head "Limitor"

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Snips Maginty, Dec 13, 2000.

1. HELP!!!! What is the limitor used for? When the limitor light comes on, what exactly does it mean? I've read a couple articles about what limitors are, but still, I am lost. I have an SWR 4004 Bass Head. During rehearsal last week, the green "Limitor" light started flashing and then the entire rig lost power. Can someone explain it to me as if I am a 4 year-old?

2. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Depends - I am not totally familiar with your amp, but the limiter can either be a part of the power supply (I have one on my power amp) that prevents distorted signals from coming out of the amp, and thus saves your speakers wear and tear OR (and this is more common) it is the light that indicate whenever your onboard compressor is being used. If you have a 'threshold' knob, try playing with that and seeing how the limiter light's activities change. Basically, your threshold will set the signal level at which your compressor will kick in...

Ok, I didn't write it as if you were a 4 year old, but that's the best I can do...