Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass head + power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seansbrew, Mar 21, 2004.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I have an sm-500 that I run mono into a four ohm 4x10 cab. I want to add an additional four ohm 4+10 cab. so that I have an 8x10 cab(two 4x10 cabs), but do not want to divide the power section of the sm-500 (250x2) because I will run out of headroom. Here is my question: how do I add an additional power amp, and still be able to run a line out to a mixing board? If I run a direct line out from the sm-500 into the input of a power amp so that each cab. is powered seperatly I will not have a line out to the house. Is a D.I. the solution? Does anyone here use this setup? :confused:

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If you get a poweramp, you should be able to set the poweramps's input section to parrallel. Then, run a female-to-female XLR from the second channel input to the board. This is assuming it's a two channel poweramp, and the you run the DI from the head to the first channel of the poweramp.

That makes sense to me, but if it's unclear, I could make a visual.

3. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I have a QSC 1602 power amp. Can you make my the visual?

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You should even be able to bridge the poweramp for maxium power, as long as you set the inputs for parallel. Hopefully you can do this (my Carvin DMC1000 has a switch that sets the inputs from seperate to parallel), but don't quote me on the bridging bit.

Er, the vertically stacked dots being the inputs, the horizontally lined ones being the outputs on the poweramp.

5. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Have you used that setup?

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Myself, no. Something similar. I use an Eden WT-300 as a preamp, and I've used the power section from the Eden concurently with using my Carving DCM in bridged mode. I've not done the parallel bit, but if there's parallel inputs for making chains of poweramps, then I would imagine the signal would be strong enough to work on a PA mixer, you'd just need the female-to-female XLR cord, not the typical Male-to-female. They do make F-to-F XLRs too, so I'm about 99% sure the setup I've outlined would work.

But get a second opinion before you blow stuff up.

7. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Thanks brendan, I will check into it. Hopefully this will save me from having to buy a di box.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It should, unless I'm completely insane. Which has been known to happen. Hopefully a real amp guru will come along and quantify my statement, one way or the other.

9. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Brendan, I looked up the information on the QSC website and am happy to report that you are not insane . It will work as you have stated. :) Thanks again.