1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Head Recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StePearce, Nov 6, 2013.

1. StePearce

StePearce

Nov 6, 2013
    Hey guys,
    I'm new to bass amps etc, I'm predominantly a guitarist but have started playing bass for 2 bands now and am looking for a cheap but decent bass head (if that's possible!) I'm thinking of getting the head first as a lot of places we currently play already have cabs available.
    Ideally my budget would be max of £150 for something 2nd hand. It would need to be loud enough to be able to be heard over drums in venues where the bass isn't DIed as well.

If anyone could suggest any good 2nd hand heads within that price range or provide some links to eBay/gumtree etc or are even selling one then let me know.

Cheers in advance for your help.

2. What cab are you going to be using?

3. StePearce

StePearce

Nov 6, 2013
    Not sure yet, I'm thinking of buying a head first as I can't afford both at the moment. That way I've at least got a head to turn up with rather than constantly being that dick that asks to use someone else's bass amp.
    At the moment a lot of where we play we use headliners cabs so it would be a mix.

4. StePearce

StePearce

Nov 6, 2013
    I've been offered the Warwick Pro Fet 3.2 for £70 but read a lot of reviews about it being too quiet.

5. Tough call. The cab matters more to your sound than the amp. Also with your budget you need to scout local used options as shipping is going to kill you. Go do some research on what is near to you, and report back for more input.

6. StePearce

StePearce

Nov 6, 2013
    What's this one like? Have you ever used it?
    This is my main option at the moment, already had a look around, the rest tend to be 150W which wouldn't really punch through enough for what I need.

7. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Honestly, you really can't go wrong in your price range with just about anything. Since you will be using different cabinets, you will need a decent EQ stage to make up for differences in cab's. 4 band or something sweepable would be good. Depending on your band, wattage will also be helpful. Remember just because you have a 400w head doesn't mean you use it all. It means you don't have to turn up as high and still get the same volume. I will say it again, for what you are looking for, just about anything in your price range is going to be pretty equal. Go for most watts per dollar (sorry USD) and a fair amount of eq possibilities on the amp itself.

8. StePearce

StePearce

Nov 6, 2013
    Cheers for the tip about the EQ, didn't think about that.

9. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Most lesser expensive amps come with a Low Mid High EQ stage. Find one that has Low-Lo/Mid-Mid/High-High at the minimum. Everything more than that is bonus

10. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    That's roughly $230, right? I'd be looking for a GK 400RB. It's an awesome head for not a lot of money.

You'd still need to ask to use someones cab. I guess I don't see a difference.

11. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

+1

GK's seem to deliver more honest volume pound for pound than any other maker out there, IMO. So much more bang for the buck. Pair it with a GK cab or one of equal efficiency and you will get every bit of power GK can offer. At least more than many other companies claim with their suggested (mis-matched) heads/cabs. I'd look no further than the RB series.

12. OP:
    You may want to write back with what's available and on your short list, and I'm sure you'll get responses from people with some experience with those heads.

13. StePearce

StePearce

Nov 6, 2013
    Been offered the Warwick ProFet 3.2 & a Hartke 1x15 cab from a friend for £120 (about $190) at the moment, think I may go for that unless anyone strongly recommends not to?
    That way I've got a full set up and have a bit spare to try get a cheap hard case for the head.

14. StePearce

StePearce

Nov 6, 2013
    Had a look for the GK 400RB and there doesn't seem to be any available in UK.

15. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    When looking for used gear sometimes you need to be patient.

I don't have any experience with Warwick amps to really comment on them. I'd probably hold out to see what else is available to you.

16. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Ashdown MAG might get the job done and they are probably a bargain used these days. I ran one through a 1x15, 2 1x15 and 1x15/2x10 configurations and it delivered enough volume for metal with the ratty band I was in at the time (it could cut through broken looking drum set and 2 crappy guitarists). It lacked kick-ass factor, but for the price it was legit.

17. StePearce

StePearce

Nov 6, 2013
    Cheers, keeping an eye on this on ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ashdown-M...usicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item3a86fba08b), will see if any shops near me stock them to go check it out.