1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Head Stopped Working

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zao144, Sep 18, 2008.

1. zao144

zao144

Jul 6, 2008
    Lodi, New Jersey
    I have a Behringer ultrabass bx 4500h that just stopped working. Literally... i was playing then i went outside for a smoke i came in and it was off. It dident feel hot, but i let it cool down and tried it again with no luck. Could this be an easy fix like a blown fuse or is it more complicated? It wasen't acting funny or anything. It just worked one minute and stopped the next. Also does anyone know some good repair shops in New Jersey? I really dont want to take it to GC i had an issue with them before.

Thanks,
    :bassist::bassist:

2. Hi.

Obviously, check the fuse first. Then the jacks and the cables.

If the poroblem doesn't go away, You're SOL IMHO. Without schematics (good luck on finding those) the repair bill and even the estimate WILL kill You.

Even with the schematics available, if anything major has to be replaced in "budget" gear, it's seldom worth it. IME/IMHO of course.

Here in Finland vocational schools used to repair such stuff back in the day (wouldn't exactly recommend that though), You might want to check that option anyway.

Regards
    Sam

3. Check this out for leads to warrenty work and/or service centers:

Service in USA, Canada

If your warrenty is up, and if Behringer doesn't have a repairman near you. Go around to your local music shops, and check which ones do onsite repairs. Also the GC alternative Sam Ash usually has a repair center. My local Sam Ash is the only Mesa Authorized facility in my county. In S. FL that seems odd to me next closest is some where in Miami, other than that like 100 or some miles in middle of nowhere.

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Sounds like the amp went for a smoke when you did...:smug:

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You don't repair behringers, you throw them away and get another one, that's why they're cheap. Better yet, throw it away and get something better, assuming you've checked the obvious, cables, fuses, etc. These things are meant to be consumable/expendable like most things nowdays. Not many things are made to be maintained, repaired and kept forever nowdays, sadly, it's a throw away world and behringer is at the bottom of the heap, or the top depending on how you look at it.

6. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    now you have a boat anchor !

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to the above.(#5)

8. Bassman822

Bassman822

Sep 1, 2007
    Bessemer, AL
    dont rule out the power switch either

9. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    wow, i've never really heard of a behringer failing like this. I've owned the 3000 and the 4500. both for more than a year each. never had a single problem. solid as stones.
    still under warranty?

10. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    Even though probably is cheaper to fix instead to buy a new one. and having a cheap head and gear to perform is not a bad idea. Get a good power conditioner, and never let your head alone even for a minute if you have strange people around, I 've heard a lot of " accidents " caused intentionally by other people, don't trust that no one will touch your gear, cause if you let it alone it will messed for sure. I 've heard a lot, from people putting the volume of the head at max while the player is performing and not looking, blowing the speaker and the head, to people destroying the speaker cone shoving a beer bottle in it, never be to carefull!!

11. Bluesbob

Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    Hey zao144, hope this helped! By the way, what part of the world are you in?

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    always have a backup head ...

13. zao144

zao144

Jul 6, 2008
    Lodi, New Jersey
    lol agreed...

new jersey, usa

Thanks for all the advise guys. I still dont know what is wrong with it, but i was told it woulden't be worth it to fix:meh:

So i am on the market for a new one. So i come you guys again for advise. i want to get something with the same wattage 450. besides the obvious good ones like ampeg, and GK what are some good ones out there for around 400-500 bucks? i've always know what to look for in basses but i get a little stumped when it comes to heads.

thanks,
    :bassist::bassist:

14. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Danny's Amp Service 5817 Roosevelt Avenue Pennsauken NJ
    (856) 662-2979
    I heard he moved ... but you can call.

15. Bassmore

Bassmore Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Virginia
    Okay, you may not be so keen on going to GC for a repair, fortunately I wouldn't know, but as we all know they do love to sell stuff. And although your Behringer was a relatively inexpensive foray into a smoke related disaster don't let the affordable price of my suggestion fool you. Go to GC and check out the new Acoustic B200H. My guess is that by comparison it will pound the snot out of your now deceased Behringer even though it only boasts 200W (btw 200W RMS). It does not have a lot of fancy effects or anything but it's aces as far as a good tonally functional bass amp goes. But don't just take my word for it, go by your local GC and try one out with your own ears (and Bass). Oh, they go for $249.00 w/ 3 Yr. Warranty/which is the most tonally blissful bang for your buck IMHO.

Play On!:bassist:

Bassmore

16. Wait a minute, somethings wrong here.

It's a behringer and it worked to begin with?

:bag:
    Sorry ;)

17. zao144

zao144

Jul 6, 2008
    Lodi, New Jersey
    For $250 i might as well get another bx4500:rolleyes:

Yea it worked for like 6 or 7 months, then one day it just stopped. i had it on then i went outside for 10 mins then i came back in and it was off. the switch was still in the on position, but the head was off.

i said before that someone told me it wasent worth fixing but i think i am going to try to get it repaired as long as its nothing major. I took it apart, which i was advised not to do since i know nothing about heads, to see if there was an obvious problem. i thought it might be a loose wire the would need to be re-soldered or something. as far as i can see everything looks fine, nothing looks burnt either. but like i said i dont know what im exactly looking for:confused:

18. Bassmore

Bassmore Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Virginia
    Yeah, I see your point, if my Acoustic B200H blew I'd get another one just like it too. If you really like something you tend to want to stay with it. The upside might be that it wouldn't cost me anything (except maybe shipping of course, but I'd take it back to the store myself so that wouldn't factor in) because of the 3 year warranty and the fact that Acoustic Amplification is owned by GC which should minimize the replacement hassle...theoretically. Anyways, my apologies, I thought a replacement was an good option for you to look into, thus my Acoustic recommendation (they don't have the current brand name recognition as the Ampeg and GK that you mentioned you don't want to spend a lot of $'s on, but you may just want to give them a serious listen if your out shopping). I guess your looking for more along the lines of real technical assistance for which I would be in the same boat as you are, look at it and see if there's anything obviously wrong type o deal. Is it still under warranty? Have you already tried Behringers Technical support?

Best of Luck:)

Play On!:bassist:

Bassmore

19. Stromrider

Stromrider

Feb 16, 2008
    CT, USA
    Hey, instead of throwing it in the dumpster do you think you could box it up and send it my way if you don't get it repaired? I'd pay shipping and some extra for your time... PM/email me please.

20. zao144

zao144

Jul 6, 2008
    Lodi, New Jersey
    No need for apologies my dude, i appreciate all the responses i get. i was thinking about contacting technical support, but i think i get a good deal on a Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700. so i might as well go for the upgrade.

Stromrider, im going to keep it for now but if i decide to get rid of it i'll let you know.