Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass headphone amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wildsponge, Nov 9, 2004.

1. wildsponge

wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Sorry that there are already a couple threads on this out there on this. My specifics are:

I need a headphone amp that is good and has a line in for a cd player. I will be using my stingray and maybe jazz to jam along to rock and melodic post-punk cds. I want a good bottom end and coloration isn't a huge deal for me since I play through Ampeg. I already have an uber-nice pair of Sennheiser HD-25 dj headphones as well as a $200 headphone amp (not for bass just for headphones) from Headroom. What bass headphone amp should I get?

2. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    If you want something with effects the Pandora is the way to go. I have one for sale here: Pandora for sale

If what you want is just clean sound then I'd suggest Cafe Walter

Joey

3. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I'd just run a line out from your ampeg into your headphone amplifier.

4. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have 3 headphone amps I use.

Pocket Rocket: Plugs right into the Bass, has a line in mini jack
    uses 9 volt bat. Has Chorus,Distortion & EQ.

Bass Rockman: Larger than the usual headphone amp,aprox
    4" wide 1" thick 6 or 7" long. Uses "AA" bat or A/C adap.
    has 1/4" jack line in. Has 3 EQ settings,Distortion,Chorus
    this is an "Old School" item and can usually be found in
    pawn shops,or Music stores that handle trade in gear,
    used gear etc etc.

Dean "Bass in a Box": very small compact unit. uses 9-volt bat
    does not have a line in.I use this unit the most when I travel.

5. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I love my Raven Labs PHA box. Great little toy that runs many many hours off of 2- 9v batteries.

I use it almost every day. I highly recommend it. Good line in. Good clean sound, and built to last.

6. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    +1

The PHA also gives you the option of using an AC adapter.

7. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Is a good sounding unit. No tone control like the Raven PHA-1, just level controls to mix the instrument and line inputs. The PHA-1, unfortunately is no longer in production...

8. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Really? I thought the APD-1 was no longer in production.

9. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    All Raven Labs products are out of production. Owner retired.

10. I have a brand new Raven Labs PH-1 with headphones, never used, still in the shipping box it came in I will consider saleing for $150 plus shipping. I bought it to use to practice with a CD player and my bass to play along with but never used it. It has 3 year warranty if interested...If you look at the price you will know this is an excellent deal.
    Gary

gavrett@sbcglobal.net

11. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    That sucks that Raven Labs is done... Great product, though. I am glad I got mine just in time!!

12. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Wow. I had no clue. Thanks for the info.

13. wildsponge

wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    LoveThatBass, hold that though. I might be interested in that.

Since I already have a headphone amp, If I get a cheap stereo mixer, run my bass into channel one, cd player into channel two and running the master out to my headphone amp, would that work and play in stereo? (I tried this once with a splitter and some 1/4" to 1/8" connecters and vice versa but it came out mono) If this works, what mixer should I look at?

14. wildsponge

wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
  15. "All Raven Labs products are out of production. Owner retired."

That is correct, however I emailed them and they said they would be there to service and honor warranty stuff.

16. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Best way to learn music on cd's?

Tascam CD-BT1

17. I use a spirit notepad, which has 4 mono channels with EQ, 2 stereo channels without EQ, and a stereo fx return. It also has its own headphone amplifier. Its main advantage over the rivals is that it has balanced line inputs and outputs, which means that you can use it with long leads on a gig if you need to. It retails in the UK for about £90.

I have my (active) bass and the keyboard plugged into two of the EQ'd mono channels, and the CD player plugged into the other two EQ'd mono channels. My minidisk player and computer sound card connect to the stereo inputs, and my ZOOM fx/drum machine pedal connects to the fx send and fx return.

All I have to do is remember to unplug the bass when I finish practicing.

18. I second that. I use as a headphone amp and to learn tunes from cd, it's awesome

19. EBS microbass. I don't know if it has al line-in for a cd player, but I suppose so. And it sounds so good :)

20. I have the same one, bought it for recordings, just plugged my bass into the Behringer and connected it to my pc, and it sounds good. But now I have a DI on my amp, together with my behringe,r I'm going to do some serieus recording
    :hyper: