1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Heads for Acoustic 410 Cab.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Allmanfan456, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Allmanfan456

Allmanfan456

Jan 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Hey fellow TBers. I have come across a problem. I was playing a gig recently with my acoustic rig. (Acoustic B200H, Acoustic 410 Cab) and it started cutting out and whenever I would play a note it sounded like complete garbage. (It has a built in clip) So I had to turn down. Which was very low.

My main concern is that I will blow out my amp unless I get a new head with out the clipping thing. (unless they all have that. I dunno I'm a gear noob and dont know too much about gear so please bear with me!) So any suggestions for a good bass amp head that would go good along with an acoustic 410 cab that can also reach a good loud volume? Im looking for a good pretty gainey tone. I play in a metal band by the way. As for price range. Name anything right now. Im just trying to get some ideas down right now.

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    You have a solid state head and you are not going to get a high gain tone out of that setup. If you are looking for growl and edge to your tone, you definitely need to get a separate overdrive pedal to achieve that sound. Solid state amps stay clean all the time - some can growl a little bit depending on the design and the tubes inside.

In a Metal band, the best way to hear yourself is to make sure you have enough midrange in the tone. I would set the knobs flat according to the manual and decrease the bass knob on the amp a little and pump up the mids a little. Mess with the high mids too. You will create a nasty, awful tone; this will allow you to hear yourself amongst the chaos of guitars and a crazy drummer.

How many watts are you pumping into the cab and what can the cab handle?

3. Alcyon

Alcyon

Jan 15, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    That shouldn't be happening for sure, but we need more information. +1 what gearhead said.

4. Allmanfan456

Allmanfan456

Jan 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Yeah Im already saving for a distortion pedal so i can get that edge I want. Thanks for the tips! much appreciated! Im horrible when it comes to knowledge of gear.

5. Allmanfan456

Allmanfan456

Jan 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    What information do you need? I'll try my best to answer. I guess its happening because one my amp is cranked loud. Add my hard attack on the strings with my pick. I guess thats why its happening.