Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Heads Impedance

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by _indica_, Feb 6, 2006.

1. _indica_

_indica_

Feb 6, 2006
    I need help. I dont play bass but my mate needs a head. He already has a Ashdown MAG 300h head and has a 4x10 cab and a 2x10 cab. I'm not sure on the power of these but there quite powerfull. The MAG head we found out after trying it out isnt powerful enough to power them, its really quiet. So now he's after a new head. At first I was thinking its because of the impedance that its so quiet, beacause the head is 300watt at 4ohm but when powering a 8ohm cab its becomes 150w. But after looking around the net i'm not so sure, I am I right that he's going to have to buy a really powerfull head somthing that runs at like 900watt at 4ohms? If somone can help that would be great, and any head recomendations would but good too.

thanks. jon.

2. could just get a 4 ohm cab then? be cheaper then a new decent head

3. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    If your mate is running both the cabs you mention at the same time and they are both 8 ohms then thats as loud as your going to get out of the amp.
    I also have a MAG 307 although its the combo version and its always been enough for my gigs and its only putting out about 200watts in to the speaker.
    what your mate could do (and im going to do with my ABM300 EVOII head) is to get a cheap power amp, the type you use for PA's. with this you can run the preamp out of the MAg and you will then get loads more power in to the speakers and keep your sound
    Ive been looking at a cheap Crown amp and when bridged in mono it will put out around 1,400watts in to 4 ohms.
    That will cost about £215 here in the uk but i would say this is a cheap way to get louder without getting rid of anything and of course you dont need to take the whole lot to every gig.

Dave.

4. _indica_

_indica_

Feb 6, 2006
    We tryed running both cabs at the same time and individualy. I think he wants too go for a new head cos he's got the money too at the moment. We will give the power amp thing a try though cos one we got one we could try it with. Does it sacrafise any tone? Has any one tryed a SWR Mini Mo'? thats what we've liked the look of the most, cant find a UK shop that sells one though.

5. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    It shouldnt change the tone of the MAG to much but it depends on the tone of the poweramp as well.
    Im not familiar with the SWR stuff but have you tried the Bass Gallery? they seem to sell quite a bit of it.

Dave.