1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass heads?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bagusys, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Bagusys

Bagusys

Sep 5, 2012
    Where my bass nerds at?!?!?!
    Just out this on my FB and wasn't satisfied with the turn out haha
    Ampeg, Markbass, GK, Behringer, Orange or ???
    looking for some new heads. I love my Ampeg PF350 and 550 BUT I recently found out my cabs can handle ALOT more than I'm putting out AND I'm tired of using 2 of the same heads. I liking the GK 2001RB for dirty and Ampeg SVT8 for clean tone. Anyone else got some head ideas ir wanna talk bass noise for a bit. I'm looking into future purchases of 2 new heads.
    2 things I want are POWER ( alot of wattage and power amp output) and I love flashy lights haha

My current setup, Washburn bantam basses (4,5,600 and 920) and US Custom Fretless -> effects -> Splitter -> Ampeg PF350 (clean) -> BagEnd D10X Cab.
    (after splitter) -> Distortion/wah/Jammam Solo -> Ampeg PF550 (Dirty) -> BagEnd Q10X Cab

2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    GK 1001 or 2001 RB would be an awesome place to start IMO. Have you ever thought of hooking up a power amp and rack mount preamp setup?? There's tons of power to be has in some of those crown power amps. If you like the PF ampegs so much, have you thought of an 800? I plan on grabbing one of those guys eventually.

3. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I had a high power Carvin B2000 head (2,000 watts) and the cabs to handle it, but I NEVER played anywhere where I needed that much power. I sold it all and now have a MarkBass CMD112P combo and a MarkBass NY121 Ext Cab all putting out 500 watts. I also have a GK MB Fusion500 head and GK cabs. I've found out that I never need more than 500 watts anymore.

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    You stated that you are tired of using two heads and then want on to say that you are looking to purchase 2 heads. Am I missing something?

Also, there is no reason to have more power just because you believe your cabs can handle it. If you gig, all you will do is drive the sound guy crazy and drive the audience out of the club.

5. Bagusys

Bagusys

Sep 5, 2012
    Power amps was my first plan, I didn't know the PF had an 800 till now.
    I wanna try something new, I'm gonna hang up the PFs for now.
    IDK who even makes PA Racks.

6. Bagusys

Bagusys

Sep 5, 2012
    2 OF THE SAME heads, I want 2 different, I think it will make a whole new sound lol, plus I'm always experimenting with my bass rig, Not so much louder, but more powerful is what I want, My guitarist has Triple Rec into a Mesa, he is usually at 2 Vol wise.
    If I turn on the -15 I mace to max my heads to meet that, If he's louder, I'm gone and our solo trade offs sound weak when I solo.
    If I turn off the -15 I get alot of spikes, but that's also my Primary bass electronics, which I'm also replacing

7. Bagusys

Bagusys

Sep 5, 2012
    Forgot ab Carvins, I plugged into a Carvin at these radio things we did and the house amp at a venue b4 and LOVED THE CLEAN TONE, plus the 6band EQ and more on those things are great for Active Electronics, thx man, that B2000 looks and sounds great!

I separate my Cans though so the max peak I have is 1600W so the BX1500 seems more reasonable for me, plus the EG has a wider range!