1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass heads

Discussion in 'Ask David Overthrow' started by Bean Odom, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Bean Odom

Bean Odom

Jul 15, 2012
    Hey man what is the difference between a bass head and a acoustic bass head?

2. are you referring to the brand name Acoustic?

3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I am thinking you are meaning amps for acoustic basses? Yes? There is a big difference between an electric bass and an acoustic bass. I think that is where the answer to your question is.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, but you can use any amp to amplify either.

5. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Yup. They can be used either or, but in the op, the question was what was the difference between the 2

6. Con Trabajo

Con Trabajo

Feb 22, 2002
    North Florida
    Hi everyone, and David.

If I may, I think the answer the OP is looking for lies in the preamp section for the most part, though heads for acoustic instruments are typically much lower in power too. The EQ section, the impedance of the inputs, and the gain of the first preamp section are (ideally) quite different between the two. The input impedance will be matched for piezo pickups often, and the the EQ tailored to the characteristics of an acoustic bass. One can use a regular bass head for upright amplification, but best results usually require use of an external preamp tailored to the pickups. Fishman pickups sound particularly horrible without one, IMHO.

Hope that answers your question.

Jamie Campbell