Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Heaven

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by spliffnriff, Jul 31, 2003.

1. I was at the Sarsstock in Toronto yesterday.... all day, and it was incredible.
    Rush - Geddy Lee is beyond incredible!!!
    Stones' Bass Player- Daryl Jones - Wow, can he groove!
    Of course there was AC-DC in top form as usual and so was The Guess Who.
    I was really impressed with everything, although water and food could have been cheaper, but I got my money's worth and more from that day!
    Now I am having dreams about being a rock star! :bassist:

2. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    no offense meant and nothing personal, but...

I HATE YOU! :mad:

not really, I am just jealous and bitter. That looked like an incredible concert. AC DC and Rush alone would have been worth the trip.

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    How long did Rush play?
    Do you remember what songs they did?

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Off to Misc with you!

5. Rush only played for about 45 minutes to 1 hr, somewhere around that.
    They opened with Tom Sawyer!
    In no order they played:
    Closer to the Heart and
    YYZ,
    Free will, and somehow I cannot remember the other songs they did. Oh wait, they did play a Stones song, but I forgot which one (I think they did a great job at that)!!!! :D

As much as I love the Stones and AC-DC, I would have prefered to have Rush be the highlight act!:D

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    it wasn't 'paint it black,' by any chance? That would be too weird! We played YYZ and Paint it Black at our last gig.
    Thanks for sharing. I'd love to hear any details pertaining to the Rush set that you care to offer...

7. Hey Xush, I do not know whatelse I can say about their set except that they still got it! They played tight, and Neil Pert is a Drumming God and Geddy makes bass playing look so easy. Glad to see him sticking with his Fender, although I would love to know what effects he uses to get that sound.. I doubt it is his fingers, but then again..

If I remember the other songs I will let you know.

8. Xush, the song was indeed Paint it Black.
    That is an incredible coincidence.
    I would love to hear your version. Is it available on a website somewhere?

Al

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    ha, that's really weird! spoooky...

I don't think we have a recorded version of it yet, maybe on a videotape lying around somewhere, I'll have to see if I can rip the audio off there. We just speed it up a bit & play up the eastern flavor. It's a fun little tune to play, nice & peppy.

Still can't believe the coincidence!

there are some samples from the first album (before I joined the band) here:
    audio samples

can't wait to start the next cd.
    thanks al!

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey sliffnriff

i'm jealous too - i made it to the edgefest with tool 2 years ago, and that was awesome (we travel to the big TO often) but i couldn't swing the trip this time around.

to those who asked

the rush set list was...

tom sawyer
    limelight
    dreamline
    yyz
    freewill
    closer to the heart
    paint it black
    the sprit of radio

according to my sources :)

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I watched that on TV...I was disappointed a lot by The Tea Party. I used to love them, but man, they were terrible -- just effin' terrible! *sigh* Oh well...I missed all of Rush, except for at the end of a song, Geddy yelled something, and then a commercial started. AC/DC and the Guess Who were awesome though! Good show. A bunch of guys from work went, and Simon, one of the managers, was in the front row. How cool would that be?

12. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    That's awesome.

It's cool you got to go.