1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Height\Position

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by terryjj1, Aug 2, 2012.

1. terryjj1

terryjj1 Guest

Jul 19, 2012
    yes, it's been asked before but the threads for some of the archives are a little long-winded..anyone have any pictures of the standard height the bass should be in relation to my height of 6"?..like skis, there must be some starting point...i'm having difficulties keeping \standardizing the bass height...as the day goes by find myself getting shorter....

2. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    Two common schools of thought are as follows:

1. The nut should be at your eyebrow.

or

2. you need to base it off where you can comfortably bow the entire range of the bass without having to lean "too" far.

Those are very short answers, but i hope they help.

3. Ross Kratter

Ross Kratter Gold Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2010
    New York, NY
    Artist, RS Berkeley, La Bella Strings and Phil Jones Bass Amplification
    Second finger in half position is at eye level is what I've always been taught.

4. terryjj1

terryjj1 Guest

Jul 19, 2012
    interesting...that would make the base\end pin quite high...part of my issue and I'm sure lots of people have experienced this is that when I reach\finger the E string, I have WAY too much bend in the wrist..this eventually causes fatigue...I just can't seem to find a body\bass position where I can play the E string and not be almost at a 90 degree angle..most frustrating...

5. Basscat125

Basscat125

Aug 3, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland.
    none yet
    Have you thought about sitting? I used to stand exclusively but I found I fatigued much less while sitting. (I have only been playing4-5 years so take everything I say with a grain of salt! :)

Basst of luck,
    Basscat

6. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    I had trouble with this too. Each bass is a bit different as is each human body. I found myself doing fine at lesson on my teacher's bass but having trouble at home. My teacher helped me figure out that my fingerboard was a bit longer on my bass. I was leaning to bow. So I raised the end-pin a bit. I ended up adjusting how I held the bass as much as I did the end-pin. Patience and a good teacher help.

7. terryjj1

terryjj1 Guest

Jul 19, 2012
    so now you left hand isn't as bent?..I've been adjusting the end pin a lot lately and just when i think it feels sort of ok..my left hand is bent again....gonna take some time I guess to figure this out...

8. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    This is the obvious question, but is your elbow raised? A lower elbow tends to create the bent wrist.

9. terryjj1

terryjj1 Guest

Jul 19, 2012

I try and keep it about half way..so the elbow kinda pivots the forearm up and down as needed...

10. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Also, a lot depends on how much you lean the bass versus having it in a more upright position. As sitters will demonstrate the more lean the easier it is to grab those low notes. My first teacher really engrained the raised elbow into me. :D

Try raising your elbow to grab the low notes. That should help align the wrist with the forearm to the shoulder.

Work with your teacher or get someone to work with on this.