Bass height when slung equates to amount of talent

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nigel Rahmshard, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Anyone else besides myself feel that a fair judge of a bass or guitar players talent can be made solely by looking at them with their bass strapped on, but not playing a note.

For example: Bass slung around knees = sucky
    Bass above belt level = talented player

I feel my theory is moderately true. For example, korn, limp bizkit and bands of that ilk wear their basses really low. Jazz guys (and tom morello) tend to wear them high. Sometimes I feel that I am an anomaly in that I play punk and hardcore but sport my bass well above my belt line.

What do you other cats think?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The higher you wear your bass, the closer you are to God. ;)
  3. ha thats funny, 'the closer you are to god', yeah
    i like to wear mine a little higher. Well actually Wes Boreland and their bass player i am pretty sure wear theirs pretty high. and thats why they are the only good people that were ever in limp bizkit.
  4. truth be told, i dont listen to limp bizkit and all, cause i dont dig their sound, so i cant tell you if they wear em high or low. But, i do know that all the local copy cat bands wear them about knee or ankle high. Bad things man, bad things.
  5. When I first started I felt very comfortable wearing my bass fairly low, but just recently I found it hard to finger tap (which I have just begun to delve into :bassist: ) so I shortened my strap a few inches, so it is still low, but not as low as I used to have it and I can tap much easier, but I have trouble getting used to the length of my neck (5 string)at that height as. As for the talent idea, most bass players who slap, tap, or utilize different techniques in their playing tend to wear the basses a little higher than others whereas pick or just finger style players can wear their's lower since they don't need to be closer to every part of their neck.
  6. I think it should stay in the same spot (or close) as when you're sitting with the bass. But I think you might be accurate on the suckiness meter. The dude from the Stone Temple Pilots is a low rider and he isn't too shabby, but I'm hard pressed to think of anyone else that flies low and has skills. :D
  7. Faceley

Dec 28, 2003
    North Carolina
    i somewhat agree with this theory. I remember the other day some kid was telling me how Mark Hoppus of Blink 182 is a bass god, i about smacked him. man he is kinda horrible, all his songs are played within the first 5 frets and on the 2,3,and4 strings, no real talent (he's a below the waist guy). i personally wear mine where it feels right to me ( the same spot it rests when i'm sitting in a chair ) this seems to be the most obvious place to put it doesn't it?
  8. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I ususally have mine right up around my neck. I mean, it makes it a bit hard to breate, but man, do I look like a kick ass bass player!:D :p

Anyways, I used to sling it low. And when I am playing to a bunch of drunk college students, I might still do it. But usually I wear it around waist high, or just a touch above
  9. Infested_Leming

Jun 29, 2003
    Oooooh Oooooooh, let's judge playing ability on looks!! Seriously, I wear my bass as low as the strap will allow because that's what feels comfortable for me. I was at Long and Mcquade the other day trying out a Warwick Thumb and some guy laughed and made some comment on how I must be a '****ty punk bassist' because I slung so low. I shut him up by playing the solo to Nativity in Black. I say whatever works for you.
  10. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    well there is definately something to be said about wearing you bass in a manner so that you don't have to twist and turn your hand just to get to the frets... so if you wear your bass very low, I don't see how you can access the fretboard as easily as say someone who wears there bass at a higher position.. however, it really does matter what is most comfortable for you. I tend to where my bass just below my chest, I can access any fret with ease and it feels good that way...
  11. Infested_Leming

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm tall, long arms and relatively big hands. Reaching frets is no problem.
  12. aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    It has been my experience that bass players who were former guitarists and/or those who use picks sling 'em low. The finger stylists and slappers (myself included here) wear the bass higher. This is not always the rule, but I see it 9 times out of 10.

In Japan, where I live, it is the rage for young High School players to play their bass with a pick and have it slung around their ankles. I have seen some guitarists play well like this but very rarely have I seen a bass player play well this way. There are, of course, always exceptions.

For me, the upper cutaway horn has to be above my left breast to feel comfortable. I also find that wearing it higher saves my back, as I am not bending at the waist much.

13. Sounds like a bad idea to judge folks on something trivial like that. It's a matter of comfort and style I would imagine. I keep mine slung just below my belt line. My arms are long and it's way more comfortable for me than Fusion-Man style. Wheather or not I suck is up for debate I guess.:D
  14. Jason Newstead wears his bass pretty low,and look at him...he was in the 2 biggest metal bands ever.

I do feel that if you wear your strap low(or high) for the look,then it's foolish. I get made fun of for not having my bass touch the floor,but's very comfortable to me (I have mine set to about where Ryan martinie[of mudvayne] has his.)

Also...judging someone's talent is opinion-influenced:D
  15. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    If you play it and do it well you will find where best to sling it for you. Anyone makes fun of you prolly couldn't play a bass.

16. I think your theory is at least accurate enough to become a stereotype. Good observation. :D

As others have said, there are always exceptions, but it seems to make enough sense that we can joke around about it.
  17. Bass player I knew a few years ago was a low slinger, played with pick and fingers. He was a good bassist up until he blew out some tendons on his left (fretboard) hand. Dr stated the amount of curvature/bend that was required at the wrist to play in this position was directly responsible for the injury.

While recovering from the surgery the doctor had him bring his bass in and recommended a playing position that, as was stated above, has the top horn over the left breast, bass neck pointing upward at about a 35 degree angle, elbow far enough forward that there is now very little bend in the wrist - allowing tendons, muscles, etc., to remain and work in a stronger, more natural position.

I've always played higher than many other people and it seems to work very well for me, as it did for Rana. Not that this makes me a good player, mind you... :D

John Ross
  18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think this cannot be stressed highly enough!!

It is not a case of looking cool or the opposite, it is not about who is a better player...etc. etc.

It is all about playing in a way that minimises your chance of serious injury!! :meh:

I have talked to a top London sports physiotherpaist and he mentioned how he was treating quite a few bass guitar players for injuries directly caused by their poor choice of playing position! :(

Apart from what John describes - there is the situation that if you are bending forwards with a fair amount of weight slung around your neck for hours at a time - you are putting undue strain on your back and are greatly increasing your chance of back injuries which will not only stop you plyaing - but will stop you doing anything at all for weeks or months!! :meh:
  19. Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    Doug Pinnick of King's X plays with his bass very low, but his arms are really quite long, and his hands are huge, so it doesn't look like it'd be that uncomfortable for him.
  20. I dont think Jason wears his bass so low. Not for a pickplayer at least. I have recently begun to wear my bass higher than before since I hve begun to dive deeper into fingerpicking, tapping and slaping instead of only playing with a pick or perhaps fingerstyle on a few occations.