1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass help for new bass player

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lindsaya, Oct 29, 2000.

1. lindsaya

lindsaya

Oct 29, 2000
    Hi,

I am on looking at buying my first bass guitar, but need some help!

I have been playing 6-string guitar for roughly 8 years, and am now looking to learn bass with my band. We are only starting out, but have the aim of low-key gigging within the next couple of years. I would also use a bass for recording purposes.

Sound-wise, I need the bass to primarly excel in rock (but not heavy rock!). I also like jazzy bass, although I'd only want to experiment in this area for the foreseeable future.

So, what shall I go for? I need something that sounds good, and will play well (that goes without saying, doesn't it?!), but staying in the sub-£300 price bracket. Saying that, I don't really want to upgrade in a year or two!

Tall order, perhaps. But I'm really relying on your help out there, as I'm clueless when it comes to basses!

Thanks for any help you can pass on to me!

Regards,
    Allastair.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    There are plenty of cheap starter instruments in the sub-300 category from such names as Cort, Dean, Ibanez, Washburn and Yamaha. Generally, you get what you pay for, so caveat emptor.

My personal recommendation would be to buy a made-in-Mexico Fender Precision or Jazz Bass. It's a decently made starter bass that has an excellent resale value, particularly when compared with the brands mentioned above. If you buy the Fender, upgrading won't be a problem. Believe me, once you get wrapped up in the bass world (or these message boards), you will want to upgrade! No one disrespects convention like bassists.

Note: the MIM Jazz, being equipped with only single coil pickups, is noisy in recording situations, but it's slightly more versatile than the Precision. The MIMs are somewhat inconsistent in terms of quality; thus, my recommendation would be to try several before you pick one for purchase.

3. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    For a deep jazzy sound I would go with a Fender, even though I hate em'. For rock, I love Ibanez. I think their the greatest. But try em' all out.

4. Fender Jazz Squire. Excellent versatile tone for dollar. Any Hey! it's a Fender.

5. thayer182

thayer182

Oct 1, 2000
    Ibanez is the way to go for a cheap guitar that sounds great. I admit there are some expensive ibanez's out there. but they do have some cheaper models like the one I have and it sounds really good. and it's very versatile. I've found it's all in the way u play it. if u get some Fender nylon tape wound strings u can get an even greater variety of sounds out of it.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Some people do prefer Ibanez, but I'd recommend against it, especially for recording purposes. I've heard a lot of people talk about their electronics being nothing short of a pain, and quite noisy. They may not record particularly well.

I've not played Dean instruments, but they're supposed to be pretty nice.

I also like Hamer and would suggest you talk to people about Carvin. Some people like 'em and some don't, but all-in-all, they're pretty well made, for the price.

7. DarkElixir

DarkElixir

Oct 30, 2000
    In my opinion Squier basses are pretty bad although they are made in fender. The one i have is hard to play with, and the cutaway is really bad (its virtually impossible to play past the 12th fret). Also, it's really heavy. :( So, I suggest that you should maybe look at a Fender P-Bass or Jazz Bass. Although you'll have to fork over some extra dough, i think that it's worth it. However, if you're not sure whether you'll enjoy playing the fourstring, you should maybe go and rent a bass first (i used to rent one for 20 bucks a month. Can't go wrong with that).

Have fun ;)

8. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    IMHO, when you bring the recording into the picture, I don't think the lower-priced Ibanez basses will cut it. I had to overdub an entire project for a band whose bassist laid down everything with some Ibanez SR series. Lots of noise. I know Ibanez has some good higher priced basses, but you may not want to spend that much up front. I don't care for the Fender Squier, but the MIM Fender Jazz may be your best bet for versatility, and the pickups can be easily upgraded later if you want.

9. Hary

Hary Guest

Sep 19, 2000
    Hungary, Veszprém
    I would buy an Ibanez bass, but the Fender would do just as good. Try as many as you can, and choose one!