bass help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by finfrocka, Jan 8, 2006.

1. finfrocka

Jul 12, 2005
    San Diego
    hey guys, kinda new and sorry if i missed a thread tha thad this same question. but iv got down my slap technique and found the strings i like, i started on a rougue which had a surprisingly good ability to slap, but im just not getting enough of that slappy poppy tone, i like the tone dirk lance gets (he was the early bassist of incubus, he did bass for the cd fungus amungus) i really need a bass that can get that kind of tone. do you guys have any ideas for a bass under 1000 dollars (preferably less but whatever im going to get a job)

2. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    first off, you would do well with a nice amp/cab/combo. bad amp pretty much means bad sound. you don't get as full of a sound with a weak amp.

i don't know much about slapping, so i can't help you there, but once someone suggests a bass i can say that you should 1) try it out before you buy 2) research it and 3) look on the used market, because great deals can be found.
  3. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I'll admit I play mostly finger style and am learning Slap an Pop, I play mostly Classic Rock and Blues based Rock, so I don't need it that much, but I think it's really neat.
    I have really nice basses and really nice amps ( you can check my profile), My problem is technique, I can slap and get wonderful tone, popping is another story I'm still working on that. So it may not be the bass, it certainly isn't w/ me.

If I read you wrong frogive me, as far as a bass for under 1000, there are so many nice basses for that price, Fender MM Lakland G&L,many more if you go used the list doubles.
  4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    If you can rack up the cash, grab a musicman. I'd say their mostly known for their slap tone.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Which Rogue do you have?
  6. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA

I can't slap to save my life, but even I sound good when I pick up a Musicman/Stingray and whack on it. :bassist: It's definitely got the sound you want when slapping, and fingerstyle's pretty sweet on it too.

(GASing for one right now. :D )
  7. finfrocka

Jul 12, 2005
    San Diego
    idk my exact model number but its active four string its got a j-ish pickup and then a fat pickup on the bottom its the one where they have the three wierd-a$$ colors
  8. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    +1 on the musicman. 'tis THE slap bass, IMO. You might want to ask figjam, though. I know he knows a lot about good slap basses.
  9. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Really you can get a good slap tone out of almost anything. Some basses like the Stingray are particularly well suited for it, but almost any bass will do.
    In my experience these have been good for slap:
    Fender Jazz or P
    Ibanez Soundgear
    Modulus Flea Bass (who would have guessed?)
  10. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    I am not totally sure, but I think dirk used a warwick. You can get a pretty good warwick for around a grand, especially if you go used.
  11. TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Yup, he played Warwick Streamer Stage IIs. But those I think are on the more expensive side of Warwick gear.