Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass History Timeline

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by weedhopper, Jan 7, 2004.

1. If you haven't run into it already via a search engine, check out my personal website, www.weedhopper.org
    It has some decent info about Bass, some good links, and of course details about my gear.

However, the Bass Guitar History page is one of the most frequented pages on my site (a couple of thousand hits per month, right now 20% of my inbound traffic), so I really want to make sure what's there is accurate for anyone visiting. There is a simple little form to fill out for additions, corrections, etc. so.... if you care to take a minute and take a look, i'd appreciate it.

As of this posting, I know there are a few areas that need clearing up, so feel free to point anything out that doesnt sit right.

Thanks!

TB
    www.weedhopper.org

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You mentioned Charles Mingus as an early 'melodic' bassist...don't forget about Jimmy Blanton(began playing "horn-like" even earlier than Mingus).

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You mentioned Modulus building the first 12 string bass in 1981. Actually, Hamer built the first 12 string bass in 1978.

4. Thanks JimK and Embellisher for the input! I've added Jimmy Blanton in his rightful spot, and reworded things a bit.

Also, as noted, that timeline was originally found on another website, so I have been trying to update it accordingly. I think the Modulus reference was specific to their production of their own 12 string. I have added the Hamer 12 string entry and did away with the Modulus reference.

Thanks again... just trying to make that thing better!