1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Hoarders - Which ones get the most gig time?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jallenbass, Apr 22, 2010.

1. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    You know who you are. Even with a plethora of basses to choose from are there just a few basses out of your many that get out to the gigs with you?

2. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    Fender Jaguar w/ Peter Florance Custom Pups, strung with Chromes.

Though I don't know if I exactly have a "plethora" of instruments, lol.

3. I've been through probably twenty 4 string basses - not as many as some people, but still plenty. And for 4 string, the only bass I cannot get rid of is my G&L SB-2.

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Well, yes and no. There are usually just a few that are being used at a given time, but what that few consists of depends upon the type of music I'm into at the moment. And since my musical interests are wide and tend to shift regularly, it means the "core" basses I"m playing tend to shift with that. So sometimes everything is in a 6 string mode, and others it's in a 5 string thing, and then it might go to an "old school" sound. It's about the music, not the bass.

5. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    '91 Warwick Thumb 5 string neck through for set 1, '96 Warwick Corvette Standard for set 2 + 3. Both with EMG pickups and electronics.

6. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    I try to take a bass for that gig. If I feed that I'm going to be on my feet long I take a light bass. Short gigs I take my best sounding.

7. My G&L's see the most use, although I use MusicMans with my funk band.:bassist:

8. Usually either my Rickenbackers or my Fender Precision Bass Special.

9. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Out of my 40+ basses the ones that get used most are:

Pre-Kramer 'Spector US NS2'
    Wal Mk1 Custom 'Geddy Lee'
    Fender 'Geddy Lee'
    Fender 62RI Precision (w/flats)

10. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    out of the many that I also own, on stage I usually use my:

Jackson Concert-5
    Charvel 4b
    Charvel/Kramer Frankenbass

which is funny because I brought my Tbird and a Charvel 2b to a gig last week because I didn't want to have to go back to the house to pick up the "normal" gear, and the sound guy liked the tone of the Tbird thru his PA better, so I used it ( It was intended to be my backup bass ) I was so surprised and that particular Charvel is in the process of being sold this week.

all the rest DO get used, but more for collectible purposes studio work and noodling.

11. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I have more than my fair share. I gig with a Wal MKII and Warwick Corvette Proline.
    If I'm playing fretless, I 'll have my Curbow

12. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    US SB-2 and Nash Jazz rotate about every other gig. The others are fun to play, but don't get to go out.

13. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    I prefer my Sadowsky 5, not because it is the best sounding bass I own but because it is the most comfortable. It weighs in a 7lbs..If I'm playing a short gig I'll take the Roscoe which is my best sounding bass, or the Dingwall just to keep things interesting.

14. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I play them in rotation - to keep my wife happy! :cool:

That being said, I like my Ken Lawrence Brase 5 and Alleva Coppolo LG-5 and KPB-5 equally. And I STILL have not reached the point where I can play out on fretless.

Dan K.

15. deekay911

deekay911 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    Of the ten basses that I own, I play the Peavey US Cirrus 8 out of 10 times, the '74 Jazz 1 out of 10, and the Ric 4003 1 out of 10....in the studio only the Peavey gets used.

16. MTMTEX

MTMTEX Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    austin tx.
    Of the 31 I own a Peavey TL6 goes to all the gigs. Normally I will grab another TL6 as a back up but sometimes I take a Modulus Q6 to change things up.

17. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I generally do a heavy rotation. I try to test my basses live, so although I got favorite ones (always a Jazz, for example) I give a chance to all of them.

18. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    May I ask you why?

What do you find different from the rest of your basses?

19. Right now only the Lakland Skyline DJ5 and Roscoe SKB 3005 make it out. My trusty old SR5 is not happy at all...

20. dionysusolympus

dionysusolympus

Apr 13, 2010
    primarily my G & L L2500.