1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Hoarding Personality Disorder (BHPD) - You are not alone.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Neuroman, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Neuroman

Neuroman BHPD - Forget about me. Save yourselves!

Oct 17, 2013
    Sunol, CA
    As someone whom studied extensively under the reign of the DSM-IV (the "bible" for diagnosing mental health issues prior to the recent release of the new and improved DSM-V) I am considering submitting to the board an entirely new disorder in their next official publication:

Bass Hoarding Personality Disorder or BHPD.

In the meantime, know that you are not alone and that you can get help in this thread.

In response to comments in this post, I have updated the thread for more specific information on diagnosing your disorder:

2-3 Basses -
    This is completely normal and healthy behavior. Why are you reading this post? See thread regarding Guilt Issues.

4 - 5 Basses - EARLY STAGE -
    Behaviors/Attempts to normalize can include: You still try to play each bass at your gigs. You purchase an extended guitar stand to be able to hold all of your axes at once. You still attempt to display all of your basses in your music room. You look to how many instruments either your rhythm or lead guitarists bring to gigs as a reference point for your health. You create reasons and set ups for using each bass on the songs in your set list. You fantasize about the NEXT bass on your wish list.

6 - 9 Basses - Stage 2 -
    You begin to store your basses in locations out of site of significant others. You begin to consider selling basses in order to -make room. You include references to your wife or significant others in your listings. You join Talk Bass and read and respond to threads involving how many basses people have and join in the discussion in order to attempt to normalize your behavior. You research wall racks which can hold bass cases standing on end. You look to the number of guitars that BOTH your lead and rhythm guitarists bring to gigs to rationalize your behavior. You start to engage in trading rather than purely buying or selling. You still believe you only need -one more.

10 - 15 Basses - Stage 3 -
    You give up trying to hide your instruments. You purchase a labeler to label the outside of each bass case by the handle. You begin to research what is involved in having an online store on ebay. You store basses in the garage and do online research regarding climate controlled storage units. You purchase a Pedulla for your child on his/her 2nd birthday. You join other and international bass forums and search for/seek out threads involving numbers of basses owned and feel good about discovering someone with more than you have. You consider having a listing labeled –“Spring Cleaning Event.” Trading is becoming a normal option in order to satisfy your jones for that next bass.

16 - 20 Basses - Stage 4 (Acute Stage) -
    You have passed the point of no return. You begin to refer to basses as inventory and begin to think in terms of filling holes in your stocks to satisfy potential buyers. “FT or FS” listings are the norm. You immediately photograph your newly acquired basses thinking of the listing for when you eventually sell or trade it.

21+ Final Stage.
    You made it. You are the happiest of the hoarders. You no longer deny or try to mask your disorder. Your attitude has evolved to the point of -what the ****!- “I am a hoarder, so what?!” You snicker at the noobs posting how many basses they have and scoff at their attempts to attain approval and otherwise normalize their behavior. You rarely respond to posts involving these matters unless it is to set someone straight on the matter, and you end your posts with an exclamation mark.

Post your history, post your current status, post where you fear you are heading. Post away and begin to experience the catharsis of group processing right away!

I'll start.

Holding steady at 9 for about a week now. Sold one to stay in single digits - desperately trying to stay in Stage 2. Leaning to the Dark Side as I am thinking of getting a Dingwall Z3 with Buckeye Burl top.

Standup Double Bass - 3/4 size
    NS Design CR5-M
    Pedulla PentaBuzz (fretless 5)
    Pedulla ET5 Thunderbass
    Custom Warwick Thumb NT 5
    Warwick Jack Bruce Limited Signature Edition Thumb - Fretless
    Carvin XB75
    Carvin Bunny Brunell BB75 Fretless
    Ella Handmade Fretless 5

Skeletons from my past:

Steinberger Synapse
    Fender American Deluxe Jazz V
    Fender Victor Bailey Jazz V
    Fender P 4
    Many, many Ibanez'

Advice to others:

Bass Guitar cases fit under the bed in the master bedroom.
    Stand ups do NOT fit inconspicuously behind the suits in the closet.

OK - who's next?

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2014
    Root 5, mikewalker, B-Lo and 41 others like this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    So what exactly are you selling and for how much?

3. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I'm curious, are you an MHP?

4. brett7276

brett7276 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm at 29 basses...and looking for #30...so yep... I need treatment options :bag:

5. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I have between two and three dozen basses around here that I got for no other reason than to eventually flip (never mind the guitars, drums and other gear!), but my current city is the alleged epicenter of the Great Economic Meltdown, so there are no local buyers worthy of cultivation -- and probably won't be for years to come. :scowl:

I'm not intentionally hoarding. I'd LOVE to be rid of this crap, especially since I wrecked my fretting hand.

There was a TBGTG here a year or so back and I let out a private list of my NIB mint basses I'd sell there for cash if anyone was up for it, at extreme discounts (about half what they go for in the classifieds here) -- but NOBODY had any money. So I stayed home.

"Aw, MAN! That's a GREAT deal! I wish I wasn't broke!"

That's what I'm up against. But I haven't bought a single piece of music gear since December of 2011, so I guess I'm not a hoarder.

Amedee likes this.
  6. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

Jan 27, 2008
    Nashville TN
    I sold almost everything... all that's left is an SR5, two class D heads, and two small cabs.

7. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Well, it looks like you are in luck. Since I do not have this disorder I am confident that I can assist you with treatment and possibly cure you of your illness.
    Step 1 - Choose the one bass you would grab to rush out of a burning house.
    Step 2 - Ship all or your hoarded basses, except that one rescued bass, to me and I will determine which ones you can live without.

Mili, bass nitro and Dug2 like this.
  8. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    I am not a hoarder, I am not a hoarder, I am not...

9. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG! Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    No problems here.:ninja::help::ninja:

10. FourNotFive

FourNotFive

Dec 30, 2011
    Ohio
    Any chance you were in the real estate market in the mid 2000s? If endless "flipping" was sustainable that market wouldn't have crashed either...

11. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG! Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    Btw if anyone knows where I can get the hookup on some discount Ramen noodles I'm interested.

12. i'm just now starting to part with (sell) some gear. I currently have 46 stringed instruments. Not all basses mind you, ac & el basses, upright bass, ac & el guitars, uke's, mando's. 6 keyboards, 3 sound modules 2 drum machines and 2 drum kits. oh yea, 4 bass rigs and 5 guitar amps also.that all resides in my home studio. I probably need to join some kind of 'help' group. i just love things with strings.

Cristiano Oliveira and safikex like this.
  13. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, my name is Connor.

14. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    Spoken like a true starving artist (poor musician)!!

15. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    YIKES!

Reading this thread...counting my 8 basses...."Hmmm I'm not so bad right?" <Denial

But wait, we have to count 6 string acoustic and electric guitars? Drum machines? Keyboards?

Holy smokes, I think I have a problem.

DougBass likes this.
  16. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

...is not just a river in Egypt! :help:

I did trade two over the weekend and actually sold one outright last month. Still, I dig all things that are shiny and bassy, and those Classifieds are just a click away.

How many basses do I have? :ninja: That's, um, Classified. :bag:

17. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    As a counter example - I currently have 1 bass guitar and I play for a living. If I was not just doing sessions, I would have more. For regional gigs 2 is fine. For touring, I'd have 3-4.

In the end if I continue doing sessions only, I will be adding a Pbass for a grand total of 2 basses.

18. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker

Sep 26, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I...I fear that I am the chief of sinners, in this regard, amongst my low end friends...

19. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I "only" have eight basses, so I don't consider myself a bass hoarder.

I do own 7 drum sets, 26 snare drums, over 80 cymbals, six guitars... you get the idea.

I believe that I fall into the "multi-instru-hoard-alist" category. Is there help for me too?

Jay Mastro likes this.
  20. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Had 30.. Down to 6 now.

DSCN0098_zps9113b457.

Don't know if that means I still have a problem or not. :meh: