1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Hoarding Personality Disorder (BHPD) - You are not alone.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Neuroman, Nov 4, 2013.

1. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I have some sort of love-hate curiosity thing going with those rounded split pickups on there - let us know how it sounds!

Old Blastard likes this.
  2. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I can't think of anything else I want.
    Maybe an ATK or Eastwood classic 4 fretless or Yammie BB-something or Fender Coronado Ii reissue or Epiphone Embassy Pro, or Tbird pro or...never mind.

3. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    What! You no longer have the Modulus 5?

Now that's a hell of a schedule!

4. Scarey Larry

Scarey Larry Supporting Member

I always feel so inadequate with only 10. Is it true that the total does not matter once afflicted? And I never get to play out that much either. I can't even get a syndrome right. I feel a blues song comin' on.

Neuroman, R&B, JACink and 2 others like this.
  5. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    alack, R&B, B-Mac and 1 other person like this.
  6. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Maybe, just I don't know if there is a 12 Step for multiple personality disorder.
    I think we call those people music store owners.

drummer5359 likes this.
  7. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Well I had this delivered this on September 26th. Rhapsody 4 string active with EMG's and Trans Blk Quilt. Decent Shape. Paid $230 plus $20 shipping from a pawn shop. One of the knobs isn't original, but a close match. I know I'll have to replace it though as my OCD just won't let me alone about it. Finish is in great shape but needs a cleaning. Came with a Gig Bag and a strap, though neither were advertised in the sale. Nothing fancy, but hey some extra swag! Here are the sellers pix.

s-l1600-. s-l1600ejjnkkd2-. s-l1600iw47uizw-. s-l16007k4t500p-. s-l16009cz1adaw-. s-l160039o2vhj4-.
    Still holding off the urge since September 26th!

stingray69 and bassmike2010 like this.
  8. Wife - "Are there guitars in all these damn cases?"
    Me - Nawt. Of course not. That would be silly to have that many guitars.... Geeze.

Some have basses in em....

AGH, Crusher47, Mktrat and 2 others like this.
  9. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

I keep thinking I will put a few basses up for sale. Or at least an amp head. Somehow, I always have something more pressing to do... :smug:

10. Well, there goes that idea....

There will be weather tomorrow...

:bag:

B-Mac likes this.
  11. B-Mac

Almost a full month (tomorrow) and no new bass even though I'm looking at 6 right now....trying to keep the G.A.S. monster chained down, but man is it ever tough.....

BK bassist likes this.
  12. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Holidays are approaching and what are you playing for that Halloween gig? Not Seafoam...

13. B-Mac

Monkey puke green Exorcist style with ratchet ‘head’stock:woot:

bassmike2010 likes this.
  14. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    I got rid of 2 basses...and acquired a new amp. Trust the process.

15. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    B2zOFsE.

B-Mac likes this.
  16. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo Supporting Member

May 14, 2002
    I guess I should check myself in here to the Betty Ford Bass Hoarding Clinic. Though it seems I might not have it as bad as some others. :eyebrow:

Short scales
    1) Hofner 182 white vinyl/tolex covered circa '64
    2) Baldwin (Burns) Nu-Sonic
    3) Conrad Bumper (acrylic)
    4) Hagstrom H II B N

Normies
    5) Ibanez 2657ZB
    6) Gibson G-3
    7) Dunable Thunderclapper
    8) EGC necked Franken-Thunderbird
    9) The Other Franken-Fenderbird
    10) Telecaster Parts Special Bass
    11) Boult The Wretched Bass (not delivered yet)

...and yet I still look around almost daily. Very hard to pass up dirt cheap deals, even if it's something that is pretty much covered by something above.

17. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Recent aggravation of the condition from mainly Fenderitis to full-blown Sadowsky syndrome.

One MIJ Sadowsky (sweet J humbucker). Another MIJ Sadowsky (totally killer PJ). A third MIJ Sadowsky (custom shop single coil J with matching headstock, arrived today).

Some other birdies need to leave the nest—but which?

Son of Wobble likes this.
  18. Scarey Larry

I am holding steady after dropping two, a beautiful fretless Zon 4, and a Reverend Mike Watt. But then picked up an nice Epiphone Beatle Bass form 1995 from a friends brothers' estate for $50. So am down to 9. Tough to lose any more as there is now no overlap. Wife is no longer counting and nothing in cases.

So I used the Methadone type treatment prescribed for BHPD and bought a nice GK 1001RB II amp and GK Neo 410 cab. Nobody wanted to hear the drummer anyway and with the 1001RB nobody is going to. I just tell people that the percussive sound they occasionally hear is me and that guy flailing around back there has a problem so don't get too close!

BK bassist and bassmike2010 like this.
  19. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Be nice- drummers are always the target of abuse.

20. Scarey Larry

Wow! Missile strike on the drummer! Not really dissing drummers, more a commentary on the volume possibilities on the 1001RB. I have a couple higher powered amps, but I don't think they have the same presence.