1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Hoarding Personality Disorder (BHPD) - You are not alone.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Neuroman, Nov 4, 2013.

1. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to do it? All Dean Edges and then all Dean ABG and then all Dean everything else?

JACink likes this.
  2. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Whew you folks are outta hand. I like it! :D

I have 4 basses and sort of like to keep it to a point where I will use them all. I decided to put my jazz on the chopping block to fund a new build. While Im waiting, Im having second thoughts about letting the jazz go as it hasn’t sold yet.

Any advice? Is 5 crazy? :eek::laugh:

R&B likes this.
  3. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Nice quilt. Beautiful. Grats.

B-Mac likes this.
  4. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Why, no....not at all. Muwahahahaha! You’ll be at 15 in no time. :D

dabbler, metron and deernaes like this.
  5. Yep, that's where I stand right now....:(

R&B likes this.
  6. B-Mac

You're quite sane....go for the higher numbers.....

AGH, metron and bassmike2010 like this.
  7. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Definitely crazy! Why would anybody ever sell a jazz bass? That makes no sense. No other bass is made of that exact same piece of wood. Therefore, no other bass is going to sound exactly like that one. And when you find yourself wanting the particular tone of that bass, you will be filled with remorse. A much better strategy is to have a jazz with flats and high action for r&b, a jazz with flats and low action for fast jazz, and a jazz with roundwounds and low action for funk and slapping and smooth jazz. Yeah, I can't see a way to get by with any fewer than 3 jazz basses. And that's not even to mention having them in multiple colors that coordinate with your stage outfits. And a matte black one for metal gigs.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    bassmike2010, Neuroman, AGH and 3 others like this.
  8. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Perhaps I underestimated the room I stepped into here :D I see your points except a Jazz with flats is gross :vomit: I do have a P with flats though :)

I did play the J last night and I still like it so my mind in scheming on alternative ways to fund a new build. :D

deernaes likes this.
  9. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    In which case you should most definitely have a Jazz with flats, if only to remind yourself why you don't want one :thumbsup:

AGH and metron like this.
  10. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Don’t forget the P basses! And of course various body woods, finishes, fingerboards and boutique pickups. :bassist:

11. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    :facepalm: Same idea is why I still own all the cds I bought that I don't like. :D

JACink likes this.
  12. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Well, it's been a while, but now creeped back up to 14...

IMG_20181202_170140.

Neuroman, AGH, BK bassist and 2 others like this.
  13. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Always mean to ask a six-string bassist: How challenging is it to mute?
    And per your signature: what's the width-at-nut on this baby?

Looks like the business, congrats!

JACink likes this.
  14. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I am by no means a 6 string bassist, I had only really tried them out in stores and decided I would pick up a cheap one to see how I get on with it.

To be honest, muting is not as bad as I suspected. I thought I would hate the 16mm spacing, but it actually makes it easier to mute.

Also, I have a bit of a strange style of playing, sort of like an acoustic/flamenco guitar player, with my hand horizontally and a finger on each string. With the 6er I move my thumb to the next string as I move up or down, using the thumb part of my palm to mute. It always looks weird on a 4 string but seems to be a technique that is very useful on a 6.

:D I suppose I should add this to the list!!

It's 51mm (2")

Neuroman and Son of Wobble like this.
  15. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    :woot::thumbsup:

16. BK bassist

BK bassist "Apollo's Ghost" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    I’m up to 36 and I’m really starting to understand just how deep rooted my chronic GAS disorder has become.

So, with that being said, stay tuned, “the great downsizing” is not too far away....

Bmac, ya heard?! ;)

Groove Doctor and B-Mac like this.
  17. Well I thought I was in stage II for a long time but recently remembered I had two other basses that I intend to restore someday ( they say it's denial but it's not!) so I'm in stage three. It is at least partially my wife's fault, she enables me by not being able to tell a Rickenbacker from a Fender or a Gibson or a...... I have gone to 12 step programs for this affliction or addiction or whatever you want to call it but most of them there have a REAL problem. I can go a year sometimes without buying a new one and I am able to cruise ebay and Reverb whenever I want and I don't buy a thing, well nothing real expensive.......I CAN STOP WHENEVER I WANT TO, I JUST DON'T WANT TO STOP!

I A M N O T P O W E R L E S S A N D M Y L I F E I S N O T U N M A N A G E A B L E!!!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    dabbler, AGH and BK bassist like this.
  18. BK bassist

BK bassist "Apollo's Ghost" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah, right.... remember what website you’re on bro :) Yeah, you’re in control, riiiiiight!

B-Mac and bobyoung53 like this.
  19. B-Mac

Congratulations!

dabbler and JACink like this.
  20. B-Mac

Ha! Down sizing shmound shizing! No such thing! :rolleyes:

BK bassist likes this.