1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Hoarding Personality Disorder (BHPD) - You are not alone.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Neuroman, Nov 4, 2013.

1. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Did you say something? Hmmm?????:D

Neuroman likes this.
  2. When I glanced at this I thought you meant your age at first:laugh:.

BK bassist and 5fingerfrenzy like this.
  3. Neuroman

Neuroman BHPD - Forget about me. Save yourselves!

Oct 17, 2013
    Sunol, CA
    ‘At a boy. Keep the faith!

bobyoung53 likes this.
  4. rust_preacher

rust_preacher

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    Now, I got a thing for a real vintage 1966...1968 Jazz Bass. These cost way more than I can afford, so I started downsizing. The first bass I sold was a 1974 Precision Bass... but I had to take a 2014 USA Jaguar Bass in the trade. I still came ahead nicely. A seller in Germany has the bass I would like to own but it is also one of the most expensive ones out there... He is willing to take my 1978 Telecaster Bass in the trade. Oh boy.

I bought a Martin D-28 acoustic guitar in the summer, there is a local buyer for it and I can make a nice margin... I will get close to the Jazz sale price in the German store, but not quite. I guess I will upgrade to Supporting Member and start selling my G&Ls on Classifieds.

The beginning of the downsizing project has taught me a couple of things: First, my tastes are pretty much my own, and vintage gear here in Finland is more difficult to unload than I thought, initially. Second, other people are just as broke as I am, so I must be prepared to take something in trade - it is not always possible to just unload stuff to vintage-drooling collectors. Third, I detest "tire-kickers", so I prefer to deal with stores and that way I get a lower margin than I could selling direct.

It will not be easy to go down form the 12 I have, to, say, 6.

5. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Welcome to Vintage World. Quality vs. quantity. It's one thing to
    fill a living room with cute impulse purchases and another to become
    an "investor" of quality/ historic instruments. Be sure to keep things
    in perspective (planning for the future). The people in your life
    are worth far more than self gratification.

66 Fender Jazz ad. FENDER JAZZ TEXT.

rust_preacher likes this.
  6. B-Lo

B-Lo One day I'll figure out how to play this thing... Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Northern Alabama
    I never knew this thread existed. I took this a couple months ago and there have been updates/changes, so I need to take a more current photo.

I told myself I was going to get down to single digits, so the Ibby, twin Fender American Pro J & P, the L2500 Tribute, and Schecter Riot are gone.

However, they have been replaced with two G&L L2500 USAs, an M2500 USA and a Yamaha TRB 5PII, so yeah...I'm not so good at this downsizing thing after all.

Hi, I'm Nate and I have BHPD (I'm not sure if this is cause for a frown or a smiley face lol).
    20180929_180446.

B-Mac, FenderOli, R&B and 7 others like this.
  7. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    I've gotten much better: I mostly only lust for multiple more copies of one model made by one company.

That's better, it'n it?

Nah...yer right: that's no better...

Oh crap: it's actually WORSE!!! I'm losing ground and sinking ever deeper into the disorder!

R&B, B-Lo and mikewalker like this.
  8. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    It's a good thing my closet is as small as it is...

20181207_104946.

B-Mac, R&B, AGH and 3 others like this.
  9. Scarey Larry

Scarey Larry Supporting Member

Hi, I'm Larry and I have BHPD. Nice collections HeavyJazz and B-Lo. I am stuck at 10 with no type repeats so I must be cured. I just resisted a click on the classifieds so I must be cured. My wife stopped counting so I must be cured. MusicMan 30th anniversary, wonder how much is in my slush fund? Damn, must not be cured.

bassmike2010 and B-Lo like this.
  10. Recounting 2018, I received these 2 instruments the same week (May 28 and June 1).

I have 3 targets for 2019. Whether they come to fruition will be another story.

R&B likes this.
  11. Scarey Larry

Scarey Larry Supporting Member

TolerancEJ, you are not even trying and how is that Fbass! I have never owned one....arghhh. WAIT! I don't think you should come to the meetings anymore. Of course holding the BHPD forum here is like having an AA meeting in a bar.

audreycashin, B-Lo and TolerancEJ like this.
  12. No, no. I belong here. I own 18 basses. I was only recounting the 2018 additions.

(Alphabetical order)
    Conklin GTBD-7
    De Armond Ashbory
    Donner Ubass
    Elegee Custom Fretless 6
    F Bass BN6
    F Bass VF6-PJ Fretless
    Fodera Emperor Standard 6
    Goldfish Bassfish
    Greg Curbow Petite 6
    Hofner 182 Shortscale
    Ibanez Soundgear SR885
    Kala U-Bass SUB Solidbody
    Ken Smith KSD Burner Deluxe 6
    MusicMan Bongo HS 6 PDN Honey Roasted
    No-Name P-Bass Fretless
    Squier Katana
    Warwick Thumb BO 6
    Warwick-Rockbass Alien Deluxe 6

I love FBass. In fact the 2018 arrival was my second FBass. I own a FBass BN6 and VF6-PJ Fretless. Do I dare dream of an AC6 to complete my FBass trifecta? It's on my wishlist. Maybe by chance something will come up on the used market.

AGH and B-Lo like this.
  13. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    I have to hand it to you. If you alphabetize your basses, you probably belong here.
    I had also alphabetized mine. Then realized it was too confusing having 4's, 5's and 6's all interspersed.
    So I split it into three alphabetized lists, 4's, 5's and 6's.
    Makes it a lot easier to try and remember what I have.
    Hmmm, I wonder if I should arrange them in the room in the same order. What a concept.

AGH, TolerancEJ and B-Lo like this.
  14. B-Lo

Jun 16, 2017
    Northern Alabama
    The answer to your question is an emphatic YES! The AC6 is my ultimate dual-purpose dream bass (and I don't even play sixers lol). I say dual-purpose because IMO it'll look just as good as a statement piece in a living room as it would in someone's hands. This one brought a tear to my eye when I saw it listed for sale haha. SOLD - FBass AC6 Fretless Custom Made

TolerancEJ likes this.
  15. I remember that listing. I had it saved in my favorites for a long time. I still couldn't afford it. I was saddened when I saw it had sold.

16. I don't arrange them physically in this order. I actually have space issues in my music room. I would love to hang them, but my available wall is in the shape of a 7-panel bay window. It will require a series of awkward angle cuts.

17. B-Lo

Jun 16, 2017
    Northern Alabama
    Yeah, it was the price that brought the tear to my eye haha. Hopefully a similar one will be listed for sale sometime...perhaps with fewer mods to keep the price down. I used to stalk the FBass website at least once a week to see if they had any interesting used ones for sale, but I haven't been there in a while.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  18. Even the used instruments on the FBass website are usually priced rather high.

B-Lo likes this.
  19. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Ordered No. 53 this past Friday.
    patchwork USA crop.

Dean Jeff Berlin Signature Patchwork. I've been watching this on GC used for awhile. Occasionally, it would seem to disappear...but it was always there. It all depended on how you searched for it. It's the USA model which I did not realize until I contacted the store. Comes with C.O.A. and original Dean HSC. They'll be shipping it to the GC that is near my work place. Probably have it before the end of next week. This will be my first USA Dean.

[edit:update]
    Picked this up during my lunch hour about 45 minutes ago at the GC near my office. Can't wait to get home and play it!
    img_9269-. img_9270-. img_9275-.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018 at 1:34 PM
    R&B, JACink, TolerancEJ and 1 other person like this.