Bass Humor/Gig Story predicted for this weekend

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by gsys, Jan 10, 2006.

1. My secular music-playing band is playing a gig in a Christian coffee house in a Christian strip mall in Maple Grove, MN Saturday night. The other band is a Christian band. Some of our lyrics, um, "decry religious hypocrisy". This thread is reserved for describing the ensuing events.
  2. hellsgate

Dec 27, 2005
    Well, what happened? You've got me all excited here!

3. Prolly got struck by lightning. :cool:
  4. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Christian strip mall? That sounds somewhat really hypocritical...I mean, thats not even right.
  5. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    I'm sort of curious how/why you got this gig.

Did they book without you knowing the kind of music you do? Or are you just looking to stir up trouble?
  6. What is a Christian strip mall, and tell us how the gig went.

(I don't mean to lobbyize this, I'm just curious.)
  7. My guess is that he's part of some acoustic folk band, that the soft sound of acoustic guitars were the lure to the coffee house owners so people would need more coffee to stay awake.
  8. It was pretty anticlimactic as it turns out. A Christian death metal band (or maybe “life after death” metal?) (or maybe they’re speed or thrash – I get all the metals mixed up) called Fear Not asked us to do a show with them after checking out our myspace and we obliged.

The venue was the Segue Café in Maple Grove, MN. The strip mall was mostly Christian-oriented businesses. We had to sign something saying that we wouldn’t swear or make sacrifices onstage. Our vocalist only said f--- twice, both times off-stage, so we got past that one okay.

The audience was mostly white teens dressed in Hot Topic-wear. The people in charge referred to them as “troubled youth.” Not just guys, there was a lotta “jailbait”.

They dug us and we got some new fans, which in retrospect I should have expected, since upper-middle class Protestant high schoolers tend to be the demographic we do the strongest in.

Anyway, the best thing about playing with Christians is that they’re nice to you, because Jesus said, um, “be nice”.
  9. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Christian venues tend to pay better, too. Our last gig was for a youth group NYE party. We quoted them a price, they accepted, and they proceeded to write us a check for 150% of the quoted price. Good stuff.

Church folk will also feed you, put you up for the night, and promote the crap out of your show. Plus, you never have to worry about getting beer spilled all over your gear, or having a crazy drunk hop up on stage, or having your natural finished bass smell like smoke for the next week. Also, church gigs are typically more "performance" gigs rather than "background music" type gigs, which is nice.

IMHO, superior to bars all around.

The only downside is that it takes a little more effort to get consistent gigs, since it's difficult to get regular monthly gigs with churches...
  10. Make sacrifices on stage? :confused: How many bands out there actually do stuff like that?
  11. I don't know, but it was on the thing we had to sign.
  12. txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Note to self...

No goat-killin' at the Christian strip mall...

Sounds like you had a good show! Christian life-after-death metal...ROTFL!

Cherie :)