Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass I want

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sean S, Apr 28, 2003.

1. This is the bass I want...with only a few modifications...

That's me in the picture (with an EMT shirt, lol), and the guy who actually owns it hasn't changed the strings in the 3 years he's owned it...:)eek: ) The input is also a little touchy, but it's overall a good bass...anyway, rock on :bassist:

2. btw, that's a custom Thompson (sp?) bass made in British Columbia...

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I kind of like the body shape. Does the luthier have a website?

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's some narrow string spacing right there!

5. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    and could the neck pickup BE any closer to the neck?
    i'll bet that bass gets some thundering lows!

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    hmmm... I don't really like the placement of those pickups.. then again.. it is a custom bass made for someone else so its still pretty cool

7. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    wow.... I really like the look of that. The pickups are very interesting.

EDIT: pilotjones, thanks for having Strongbad as your avatar... that makes me happy. :cool:

8. i dont like the pickups. There at both extremes. Youll eather get a thundering low or tight high. Nothing else. Blend them togeather, it might not sound that great. Theres no "inbetween goodness" with thoes, unless you monkey with the pickup volumes forever. and what about slapping. Youll have to slap in the middle of the body, or else youll be hitting the pickups. meh, just my 2 cents.

- w00t

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    And the little guy is amassing a nice bass collection... :D

10. i like the string spacing, cause it was the first time I had actually played a 5 (i have fooled around with them at my local music store, but can't afford one yet)
    The tone has a crazy range...I started playing one of our songs that has a few slides, and sound of it was horrible...SCREEECH every time you moved your hand...

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    nice flamed top! Not sure about the string spacing, I've got smallish hands so I can understand people wanting tight string spacing!

The pickup placement does look unusual - might get some interesting sounds outta that....

What's the inlay at the 12th fret - can't make it out clearly!

12. I couldn't tell you what kind of inlay that is, but I know that the body is made out of Tiger Maple...expensive stuff, I hear...