Featured Bass Icon Jeff Berlin To Release New Tribute Album To Legendary Jack Bruce “Jack Songs”

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Aug 16, 2022.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    Bass icon Jeff Berlin will be releasing a new tribute album to legendary Jack Bruce titled “Jack Songs” on August 2, 2022! Jack Bruce, best known for his work with classic rock group Cream as well as his critically acclaimed solo work passed away in 2014. Jeff Berlin, who has been called “the greatest bass player in the world”, was a personal friend of Jack’s and wanted to record his songs in remembrance of how Jack helped Jeff to find his own musical path.

Says Jeff, “Recording the music of Jack Bruce has been the most emotional recording project of my career. Jack was the greatest bass influence I ever had. In the center of his music were these strange and wonderful bass lines weaving in and out of the key, reaching for resolutions and finding them, again, and again. Jack’s playing was a living evolving improvisation.

Jack was the Alpha and Omega for me. I never would have become the bass player I became if I didn't hear his unfettered improvisations and innovations, his creating a completely original bass tone, and his playing every gig as if it was his last. When he died, I immediately set out to honor him by reviewing his music to choose some of my favorite songs of his and recording them via my own musical vision. As was his legacy of musical brilliance, I wanted this record to be brilliant to honor his spirit. He really means this much to me.

‘Jack Songs’ isn’t a cover CD, not in the literal sense. Except for a couple of tunes from his Cream period (arranged in ways that should surprise people) most of the songs on this CD come from other periods in Jack’s musical life after Cream. Jack’s solo career represented a multitude of musical styles. This recording will be a new revamp of some of those songs, some of the best music that I heard from one of the greatest musicians of the last fifty years.

In arranging the music, I was inspired by Giles Martin’s production of The Beatles ‘Love’ CD. His production work on this CD is fantastic. I tried to follow his example of his fitting various Beatle song quotes from different tunes into each tune by doing a similar thing by combining different Jack songs. Rather than computerized manipulation of music that was already recorded, I arranged the music so that each song on ‘Jack Songs’ would end up as an individual work comprised of various parts of other songs in them. I never would have thought of this without Giles showing me this path.”
    Guest performers:

Sammy Hagar, Alex Lifeson, Geddy Lee, Gregg Bissonette, Gary Husband, Eric Johnson, Bill Frisell, Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal, Alex Ligertwood, Scott Henderson, Marcus Miller, Ron Carter, Tony Levin, Michael League, Nathan East, Mark King, Bruce Guttridge, Billy Sheehan and Johnny Hiland!

To purchase: www.jeffberlinmusicgroup.com

Jeff Berlin - Jack Songs edited (1).jpg

JEFF BERLIN_jack_songs_cover med res.jpg

Peterson, MCF, roccobass and 14 others like this.
  2. jemerpi

jemerpi

Feb 26, 2022
    Canada
    A great idea that's so well supported by amazing contributing artists. And, of course, Jack deserves it.

roccobass, B-Mac and morrisonhendrix like this.
  3. B-Mac

B-Mac Happiness is a warm puppy and a great bass Supporting Member

4. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    A *very* long time ago I made a contribution to this project with some deliverables attached. What followed was a prolonged string of videos and messages from Jeff explaining why the project was delayed and all the great players who would be involved.

…and then silence…

Now I read it’s done and being released. Really? Have I received anything?

No.

:bored:

thetaxmiser and Maestro29 like this.
  5. I would love to hear some samples.

DuluthDank likes this.
  6. VoodooJazz

VoodooJazz

Jun 8, 2014
    Northern California
    <your name here>
    It’s a great idea for a tribute to a great player. If only he’d been able to get a couple of well-known guest artists…:laugh::roflmao:

7. LHbassist

LHbassist Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Reno, Nevada
    Jack Bruce was a serious pioneer.. he expanded the role of the bass in a power trio... and had one of the era's a handful of instantly identifiable singing voices in rock music. I think all of us who play bass were influenced by him, at some point. How many times in the late 60's, have I seen my drunken friends pick up a pool cue when a Cream song came on the juke box, pretending not to be Clapton, but Jack Bruce! What I dig the most, is his solo recording "Songs For A Tailor." A truly great album. The recording has a 'brightness' and strong cool period 60's English vibe to it. His compositions are just great. Jeff is totally cool for doing this, I'm surprised more bassists don't speak of Jack a part of their influences.

jemerpi and woodyng2 like this.
  8. Maestro29

Maestro29

Aug 23, 2012
    Albany, NY
    I ordered the CD August 2nd, the disclaimer says “please allow two weeks for delivery”. This Friday will mark one month since since I placed my order and still no CD. I’ve sent several emails inquiring about its whereabouts, all of which remain ignored/unanswered.

9. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    My query to the individual handling the CD sales around the Pledge Music CDs etc. also remains unanswered.

**I'd strongly recommend that no one else send money their way until there's some evidence that this project is anything beyond a money grab.:bored:

Maestro29 likes this.
  10. zmebass76

zmebass76 Makin' bass faces since '92... Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Nederland, Tx
    Unfortunately, I think that those folks who contributed to the original project through PledgeMusic won't get any return on their contributions, since PleadgeMusic filed bankruptcy back in 2019. Jeff lost all of that money, so in turn, everyone who contributed will lose out, too. I figured he'd at least give all of those folks a free download of the album since that won't cost him anything, but so far, he hasn't done such a thing yet.

roccobass and jemerpi like this.
  11. zmebass76

Feb 17, 2013
    Nederland, Tx
    He just mailed out the first batch of CDs, so if you're in that batch, be watching your mail. I guess we'll see! Lol

Maestro29 and jemerpi like this.
  12. Hillbillies!

13. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. It would have been nice to be informed by Jeff that the contributions had been lost and whether or not he would feel any commitment to the early supporters as he moved forward. I would have thought that some of that money would have been harvested early on toward the costs of securing talent etc. if he was moving forward with the project the way his mailings indicated that he was.

14. I wonder if he even has a list of who the early contributors were.

As for slow delivery, I recently bought a book from his website, which quoted ten days for delivery. I got a shipping notice just shy of a month later. Great book, though.

15. Maestro29

Maestro29

Aug 23, 2012
    Albany, NY
    Hopefully this week!

16. zmebass76

Feb 17, 2013
    Nederland, Tx
    Yeah, there's a good chance that he didn't get a list of contributors before the site went bankrupt. He did put a post or two on one (or maybe two) of his Facebook social media accounts back when it happened, and he apologized profusely, so maybe he assumed that all of the contributors automatically follow ALL of his social media accounts. He has several... a personal page, a music page, a Jeff Berlin Music Education group, and a Jeff Berlin Plays Jack Bruce page. Lol

17. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Just found the Facebook site for the album project. Complicated on my end since I'm not a Facebook user. It's confirmed there that with the collapse of PledgeMusic, early donors will not be getting anything in return from Jeff.

The site says:

"To remind people, Pledge Music went bankrupt. I never got your early contributions to record Jack Songs. Thus, I financed the record myself. Sorry to share, but, we both lost out by being involved with them. Unfortunately, no Pledge donation will be fullfilled, something that I do regret.
    However, all GoFundMe contributors will receive a link for your download and the record artwork. CD people need to wait two weeks for delivery."

It would have been nice to hear this directly. Since I'd been getting regular delay updates for a couple of years early on, I'd conclude that Jeff and his people had our email addresses.

Now...am I self-abusive enough to pay for the CD again? I wonder.

zmebass76 and Maestro29 like this.
  18. Maestro29

Maestro29

Aug 23, 2012
    Albany, NY
    Well, all we can hope for is a great album. This is Jeff’s passion project, the guy wouldn’t fight this long and hard over something if he didn’t truly believe it to be great. Fantastic artist roster too! I’m a big Geddy fan but I’m very excited to hear Michael League. I’m hoping after a 5 year wait this record will convince me to buy another Rithimic lmao (sold mine and regretted it)

19. zmebass76

Feb 17, 2013
    Nederland, Tx
    Update: I received my CD in the mail yesterday. So far, so good!

20. Maestro29

Maestro29

Aug 23, 2012
    Albany, NY
    It’s here!!! 6300940C-BDBF-45E7-94BA-D3A6F7D8BB04.jpeg

roccobass and HeavyJazz like this.