Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Icon on Windows XP

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by malthumb, Sep 20, 2002.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    My wife got a new laptop with Windows XP installed. Apparently you have to set up user names on Windows. When she set up her computer and selected a user name, this is the icon that was randomly assigned to her...

2. I use that icon also.

3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Me too. It was one of the best surprises I had when my Dell showed up.

4. Me too. Is it a Tobias? I thought it was cool that XP had a bass though.

jtbp

5. the icons only appear if you use the welcome screen ;)

i get a " normal " login screen, similar to the one on windows NT / 2000

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I think it is, does Mike know about this?

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    you can add your own icons, you know.

8. When I installed XP last spring, it was about 2 AM after a long day. When that icon came up randomly for my login name, it scared the crap out of me. "But...how do they know? Are they watching?" Luckily I was coherent enough to soon realize it was one of some randomly selected icons already installed.

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yep. That's what I did. At first, I used the bass icon, but then I decided I'd rather have my 8 string Curbow. :)

It's nice having my own desktop separate from my girlfriend's. It's the little things that make me happy. ;)

10. SlowRiot

SlowRiot

Jan 5, 2002
    England
    Heh AND ME... and i got it assigned randomly too

its quite clear that microsoft ARE watching, is there a single bassist here using XP that DIDNT get that icon??

11. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    i got the bass icon also.

12. Yeah, I have that icon setup for me and embellisher on our kids computers when I loaded Xp on them. On my own computer I use the more professional login screen like Allodox. You can go into the control panel and set your preferences.

13. I, as others, have also gotten that icon... but MS folks are stupid... it says "guitar" on the icon. :)

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    everyone i know with XP had that as the default icon. i think it IS the default icon.

but it scared the shiz out of me when i first installed XP. "how the heck do they know....?!"

15. My default was a rubber ducky. How'd they know........

16. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Let's hope not! He can sue their ass and after getting 200 million bucks from Bill, he can sell his basses for $100 each :D

17. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Yeah, when I loaded on XP and it gave me that icon too. I tought that was freaky. Yeah it does look li ke a Tobias, Microsoft is pretty cheap to be shopping at musicyo.com ;).

18. I didn't...I don't have XP and it'll be a cold day in hell before I move to it.