Bass Id and pricing

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by SunneyBoy, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Good Day All

I was recently contacted by a women who's late brother was a double bass player in my city. She is currently in possession of his bass and would like to sell the instrument but has no idea what it is and what it might be worth so she got hold of me through a drummer friend , but i unfortunately don't have enough knowledge to give her accurate information regarding the origin and value of the bass. all that i could tell her is that it is probably way out of my price range : )

Would you please have a look at the pictures in the link and help out with a bass ID (there are no labels inside) and an estimated value.

i would like to give her as much info as possible before the vultures descend and take advantage of an uneducated seller.

thank you in advance for your help.

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
  3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Kinda looks like a more recent (and flat back) version of the bass Carlos sold here, that went for around $13K. But that's based on nothing but cursory response to little pitchers on the inter webs....

4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    Shame about the butchery to the back. That should reduce the value by about half.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    ? Where did you see a picture of the back?

6. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    It's the messed up button pic.

KUNGfuSHERIFF likes this.
  7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    I'm looking on my iPad and all I can see is flash glare....

8. gerry grable

gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    I think that "glare" is the wood blemish around the button which looks sanded or patched.

9. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    Ed Fuqua likes this.
  10. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Apr 6, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fishman Transducers, D'Addarrio Strings, Aguilar Amplifiers
    Is that a bolt coming through the back of the neck?

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Yikes! Thanks JumpyWomka. It almost looks like somebody just slid that neck onto a Juzek/Wilfer/etc.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021