Bass ID help?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Muddslide, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Hey, All. Wondered if anyone could help ID this P copy. It's on CL and I have contacted the seller to find out the brand, but been waiting for more than a day so I thought I'd ask here.

I tried to crop out the pic to just the headstock and blow it up, but the resolution was way too bad.

Thanks for any help...

00b0b_lxLTiri45Nh_600x450.jpg

2. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Drunken Sailor Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Can't make out the logo, but first glance at the headstock shape says it might be a SX? The bridge appears to be a high mass type like a Badass II.

3. Hard to tell , at first i thought 70s Hondo but not sure about that

4. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Looks like an SX to me, too. Head shape is right. Can't read the logo, but it looks like it could be the SX logo.

5. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Definitely an SX.

6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    The logo made me think the old 70s gold ESP logo, but that's 100% a Rondo SX headstock, no doubt. I wish they used that version still.

7. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Well the seller wrote me back. She wasn't at home to look at it, but she thought it was a Washburn (?!?!)

I don't buy that at all. She was supposed to write back last night with a definitive answer but didn't.

If it's an SX, must have had some mods, right?

BA style bridge, black Strat knobs...hmm...

8. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Drunken Sailor Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Yeah, it could just be someone's personal modded beast.

9. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Maybe a GTX import bass?

kaman+music+gtx+50+bass+guitar+rio+de+janeiro+rj+brasil__7438FF_1.jpg

scourgeofgod likes this.
  10. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I believe we have a winner. Still haven't heard from the (apparently not-very-motivated) seller, but I endeavored once again to blow up the ad photo and am increasingly convinced it is NOT an SX. When blown up, even though the shot is pretty badly digitized, the logo on the headstock does very much look like the one on the bass in the pic Dluxe posted.

Now my question becomes: Dluxe--is this your bass, or do you know anything about these?

Does anyone?

GTX P bass copy? Anyone? Beuhler?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  11. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    From what I remember, GTX bass and guitars were a product of the Kaman Music company ... several of the models actually got numbers for names ... no idea what the model of this would be ... Kaman was eventually purchased by FMIC if I remember correctly ... I think the original company had something to do with Ovation guitars back in the 60-early 70's ...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  12. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    ^^^ Yeah, poking around online it looks like this was a short-lived "brand" from the 90s when Kaman Co. was producing some instruments for both Ovation (the Applause line maybe?) and Hamer.

Can't find much by way of reviews or get an idea of quality (wouldn't expect much there) but it was so cheap, and WITH the case.

I'm sure Dluxe is right, though. Same knobs, same bridge...

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021