1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass ID help?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GregDunn, Apr 8, 2009.

1. GregDunn

GregDunn

Jan 8, 2009
    Went to see Todd Rundgren here Monday night - partly because he always puts on a fun show, and partly because I heard that he has a new bass player for this tour. Rachel Haden, one of Charlie Haden's triplet daughters, multi-talented and frankly not visible enough these days. I know her best from her stint in the LA band "That Dog." in the 90s, but hadn't seen her play around here since then.

Anyway... it was a fun show and I got to talk to her afterward, but stupidly forgot to ask what bass she's playing! It looks familiar but I couldn't quite make it out. I got one clean picture but it's still too blurred to read the branding.

So I humbly ask the massed mind on TB to help me ID this bass. Here's a full-frame and a close-up of the blurry headstock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Looks like an Ibanez to me.

3. I will say Ibanez GSR of some type with their blue metallic paint

4. Senator

Senator

Nov 11, 2008
    She was in The Rentals. Plays a Gretsch, too.

5. GregDunn

GregDunn

Jan 8, 2009
    Yup, she and her sisters have played in a lot of bands. She didn't haul out the Gretsch Monday, though she did play a long-scale Fender 5-string on a few songs. With those tiny hands!

I agree, this looks very much like an Ibanez, though the lettering on the headstock is like none I've ever seen. The knob layout is a bit different from the GSRs I can find on the net, too, though perhaps it's been customized.

6. its odd because the letters sortof look like an ibanez but the knobs (like you said) don't look like it...they look more like warwick pattern sort of but not fully :/

7. Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Aug 25, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Possible Signature Ibanez Model? Looks like something is written on the truss rod cover.

8. skotsour

skotsour

Mar 4, 2009
    Chicago
    Soundgear?

9. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    [​IMG]

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

11. GregDunn

GregDunn

Jan 8, 2009
    Thanks, Embellisher and Dark Horse! I do believe we have a winner! I love the look of that bass - guess I'll have to actually handle one and see if I like how it plays.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

The Mikro is an extremely short scale. I would recommend trying one before you buy. 28.60" scale.

For reference, here is Grace, a girl in my church. She is very small.

Grace2.

Here is my church's Youth Pastor, to help establish scale. He is 6'2" 260 lbs.

Jason1.

13. GregDunn

GregDunn

Jan 8, 2009
    Cool; thanks. That's why I want to actually pick one up and play it before I make any decision. My hands don't stretch the way they used to, and I'm not sure if a short scale would actually help - but it looks comfortable. I'm somewhere in between on size. ;)

Oh, and by tweaking my search parameters after knowing the brand, I located this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502379

14. GregDunn

GregDunn

Jan 8, 2009
    Just a quick follow-up: I ran the gamut of local music stores today since I was in the right area with time to spend. The first store I popped into had a Mikro hanging on the rack, so I picked it up and played it for a bit.

Very nice! It seemed to fit my hands comfortably, the reach was perfect, and it was so light... I probably would have bought one if the only color they had in stock wasn't the purple one! :D It really impressed me that a short-scale felt so good to play. I plan to go back and plug one into a decent amp and see if I can live with the sound...

15. Bluesbreaker5

Bluesbreaker5

Mar 24, 2006
    Wow.....they go for $169.99 at MF. Goes to show it don't take a $2000 bass to do good.

16. GregDunn

GregDunn

Jan 8, 2009
    The one I played seemed to have very good fit and finish, I must say. No buzzing frets or noticeable neck warp. Though the store is one that probably takes time to do some setup on their display units. It's the same store where we bought my P-bass in 1995; they seem to care about their demos.

17. unbridled

unbridled

May 26, 2005
    Montana
    Endorsing Artist-Compton Compensated Custom Bridges (for Gretsch 6ers)
    I tried lots of short-scales before deciding to get a Mikro and I am glad that's what I ended up with. Mine was from an internet dealer, but the fit and finish and set up was decent. I only had to adjust one saddle and I filed one fret that had a sharp edge. Other than that, it was good. I really like it!

3251549571_256e0ca69f_m.

Here's a review of my Mikro:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=513353