1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass ID help

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by SunneyBoy, Mar 28, 2013.

1. I am very very chuffed I have inherited a bass from an extended family member. He is in his eighties and although being a great bass player in his youth winner of the "melody maker bass player poll in 1951" he is now unable to hear as well as he used to and has decided to pass the bass down to me.

We would just like a little help identifying the instrument (the label was not in the bass when he purchased it) he seems to recall it possibly being of Germanic origin.

I am not expecting any astounding revelations but a little clarity on the basses beginnings would be much appreciated. Sorry for the picture quality. Cell phones ....? Thank you in advance for sharing your collective wisdom

2. And one of Mr. Flett showing me that he has forgotten more than I may ever learn.

3. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Mr. Plett's got style! ;)

If you really want to ID that bass, please use a real camera and post some pix bigger than a postage stamp! ;)

4. Oops!!! sorry the size looked ok with the talkbass app. Will repost the pics.

5. Bigger pics 1364623008366. 1364623038173.

6. Some more 1364623214594.

7. Back and ribs 1364623359483.

8. I hope these sizes are a bit better. If not I will have wait till I can post more.

9. Hi.

The tuners look a lot like:

virityskoneisto1.

The "engraving" at the edge of the plate is a string of raised "eyes" divided by a raised dot the size of the iris.

Unfortunately mine is at least as unidentified as Yours at this point :(.

Most of the details on mine point towards the Eastern block though.

Uploading Your pics on a pic-hosting website will eliminate the attachment restrictions.

I use Photobucket, even though the new platform is like going years back in the evolution.

Regards
    Sam

10. Thank you for all who have responded.

The one characteristic that I am not able to figure out is the outer linings. Which are flush and rounded with the top.

The only basses I have seen with these have been student Czech and German ply basses so I am thinking it may be that. Anyone else know about these rounded linings?