Bass ID please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 0hm, Aug 18, 2009.

1. 0hm

0hm

Aug 18, 2009
    hi all,

new to forum, hopefully this is the right place to put this. i'm a fretless-4 player (yamaha bbn4f), playing on-and-off for the last 10 years, but only getting back into it now after a few years absence.

what i need to do is ID this bass, i love the look of it, and the price is good, but it's too far away for me to actually go and have a play of it before i think about buying it.

[​IMG]

any help appreciated.

cheers,

dave.

2. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    That headstock is vaguely remeniscent of several bass brands, but based on the headstock and body shape, and the single Diamond inlay and what appears to be a pair of EMG HZs, I have to label it a Stiletto. Things is, it doesn't appear to have the bridge that a Schecter would, or the pot layout. Maybe it's an Ibby or a Dean. Or a Carvin. Who knows. :p

Where is a better picture?

3. kinda looks like a dean too

4. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Yea, looking at it more, the tuning machines are Schecteresque, the body style is Stiletto, and the headstock is also one like they use. It's either a Stiletto or something based on one. Things that don't indicate it as a Stiletto is the lack of matching headstock (though recent models have black ones), lack of Schecter AND Diamond Series logos prominent on the headstock face.

5. 0hm

0hm

Aug 18, 2009
    hey guys,

thanks for coming back to me, it carries some resemblance to a schecter studio 6 alright, but the fretboard isn't dotted, the pickups are diff, and as you said, the bridge + headstock.

but it's the closest body type i've found.

he's offering it to me for €270 (~$380), so it could well be an ex-demo unit or something like that. thing is, he's a luthier, so i'm not sure how much of the bass is bought in, and how much he's set up himself (i.e. new neck, strings, tuners, bridge etc....

i've asked for a higher-quality picture, and i'll post it here when/if he comes back to me.

thanks for your help lads.

d.

6. 0hm

0hm

Aug 18, 2009
    apparently the OEM is a chinese outfit called "yutin", he says he buys them from there, upgrades electronics etc, and sells them under his own brand.

[​IMG]

it's evidently modeled after the schecter....

http://www.yutin.com/EnProductShow.asp?ID=561

7. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - The Final Frontier.. Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Assuming it has been set-up ($50) it's not a million miles off the mark price-wise, although at this price I would definitely want to play it before I parted with any money, or I'd be looking for the ability to return if I didn't like it.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021