1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass ID, please?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by KUNGfuSHERIFF, Aug 20, 2012.

1. So last night I picked up a sweet little flatback -- she's 3/4 sized, fully carved, and unlabeled. Based on the photos below, can anyone venture a guess as to origin and age?

The bridge bears the stamp of an "Amiel DeLuccia;" a quick Google search turned up an article mentioning a family of violinmakers by that name who were active in Philadelphia before WW2.

IMG_0369.

IMG_0366.

IMG_0367.

IMG_0368.

IMG_0370.

It's clearly an inexpensive student bass, but it would be cool to have some clue as to its' origins.

Thanks in advance!

2. No idea, but congrats on the find; looks like a real sweet bass!

3. Let's see the whole thing. Diggin those pegs!

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Indeed, looks like a neat find! Yes, let 's see full body shots. :)

5. IMG_0372.

IMG_0373.

IMG_0375.

IMG_0376.

IMG_0377.

IMG_0378.

IMG_0379.

6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Looks sweet! Where'd you find her?

7. South Jersey.

8. mlz77096

mlz77096

Oct 16, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Totally lovely. Would that I should come across a find like that. How does it sound?

9. Squeaky. Freshly oiled guts an inch off the fingerboard of a carved bass are a world apart from Spiros and a jazz setup. I can barely play the bugger, but what I can eke out of it is interesting. I'm hoping things get easier after I ditch the monofilament tailgut and put on a braided steel cable.

The E and A strings are interesting. They appear to be silver roundwound over some kind of plastic core; the silks on the E are green, and yellow on the A. Very low tension but with more sustain than wound gut. Anybody know what they are?

10. That action looks brutal!

11. It's not bad with the gut D&G. Spiros at that height would be torture.

So no one is willing to venture a guess as to what I have here?

12. SodaCity bass

SodaCity bass Bartolini Artist, MTD Artist, LaBella Artist

Aug 4, 2011
    Blythewood, SC
    imo, it looks to be German and probably 100+ yo

13. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    I think it looks like it would make a great addition to my practice space!!!!

Have you tried using light and a dental mirror to see if there is any writing on the inside of the top?

14. I don't have a dental mirror, unfortunately. Maybe I'll try to jerry-rig something this weekend.

15. GregT

GregT

Jan 29, 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    It looks a lot like mine. Mine is an old German Flatback. It actually says, "MADE IN GERMANY" inside and it used to be a movie prop and it was on a record in the 70s. They're nice basses. Sorry I don't have any more information on it. You can see basses just like it in old movies including Son Of Trigger. The Sons of the Pioneers used one like it.