bass idea

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Prague77, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    what do you think of this?

a 4 string, multi laminate neck, with the woods walnut, purpleheart,walnut, purpleheart, walnut,
    ebony fingerboard, splated maple top, mahognony rear, 1 seymour duncan mm pickup and one bartolini mm pickup with a demeter preamp. would that even be possiable to make. would it be pretty dumb? It sounds like it would be an intresting bass to me :p
  2. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Explain yourself, young man! :)

It sounds interesting to me to. What is it you're trying to accomplish?

I haven't seen walnut used as the main neck wood very much. Don't know why that is - tone or stability.

Where would the pickups go? Bart up against the bridge and SD on the other side of that - that could be good.

You'd have to see how different the output levels of the two pickups would be however. Small differences can be accommodated by pickup height adjustments and resistors, but anything drastic probably won't work too well.

Then again, if it is drastic, you could put the lower-output pickup in series and the other one in parallel. :)

All in all, new ideas are good, but you just have to figure out if it's worth spending the money on something that might not work out.
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Sounds like it could be done. Go for it.
  4. am I the only one who got a headache from reading that? wow, am I simple minded.
  5. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    I was thinking put the bart at the bridge, and the duncan at the neck area. I just wanted to have the ability to have the nice clear kinda mellow tone of a bart, and more bawlsy tone of a duncan when i wanted, with out haveing to buy two different basses.
  6. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Well if you're getting a DP Custom, you can always ask Dave Pushic for advice too! :)
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Can't guess from the limited info. Too many other factors impact it, such as;

- bolt-on, neck-through, set neck?
    - bridge?
    - which Bart MM? which Bassline MM?
    - thickness of maple top wood?
    - pup placement

Assuming it is a neck-through, my guess it would sound dark, warm, and "soft" unless that maple was thick.

I've seen a comment or two from people who tried using 2 MM pups and they weren't happy campers.

For one thing, if they can be blended, you may get a "mess" because the pups are "seeing" so much of the strings, (too much "info"). More likely, they will cancel out some of the frequencies the other pup is picking up. With basses, "more" often results in "less."

Your best bet is to do like geshel says - ask Dave for his guess. He knows what the actual wood will probably be like if he selects it.

You never know till you try - more power to you for not joining the ash/alder/maple masses.
  9. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    I wasnt planning on using them at the same time, i would want to have blend, or some other way to switch between the two pickups. Yeah it would be a neckthrough bass.

the bridge would be a hipshot "a" bridge
  10. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    sounds like something I'd like to try out. Do it.
  11. rickbass

"Blend" is using both simutaneously. It's just a matter of "how much?" of each. (Unless, the "Blend" is turned all the way in either direction; kind of pointless to have "Blend", in that case).

I've had Hipshots - nice bridges, great sustain with a neck-through, especially when strings are strung through-body.
  12. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Well, the G&Ls have two big almost-MM size humbuckers, and they seem to work well. Also there's Wal, their pickups are unique but they are still large wide-aperture humbuckers.
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  14. rickbass

Those basses are designed around those pups. The physics/elliptical patterns of the strings over them are carefully thought out. Leo had an alder board with a neck attached to it in his office and would spend countless hours trying out a myriad of pickup combinations at a myriad of positions along the board.

Here, we're talking about slapping 2 different breeds of MM's on a custom and hoping it all somehow works out.

I hope it does if Prague goes for it.
  15. The neck sounds good, I know the Peavey Cirrus comes in a walnut/maple/walnut/maple/walnut neck (at least it DID). The bass I am currently building has a maple/purpleheart/maple/walnut/maple/purpleheart/maple neck, which should work out to be real stable, and Dave knows what he is doing so those woods shouldn't be a problem.

As for the pickups, what the guys have said here is right, those pickups may be somewhat incompatible, on output level, or frequency response. Though Dave surely knows his stuff, I have seen some basses he's built where the customers own demands impaired the bass (it was against Dave's advice though). You might want to think about more compatible pickups. You could get 2 Bart MMs, one voiced deep and the other voiced high, and put the deep in the neck posotion, this might work better. Or...on the bass I am building I am putting a Bart MM in the bridge position and a Bart J with deep voicing in the neck position. This seem to be a fairly common setup and should work fairly well. But you may want a completely different tone than I (and probably do) so this may not be your cup of tea.

16. I'm joining the masses :D
    on my DP I went with zebrawood over ash body, with a maple and walnut 5 piece neck. I choose those woods only because I've heard them and liked 'em. I also needed something that would cut through, and these are what Dave suggested.
    you may need a different type of tone than I need, but I would think with the woods you choosen the bass would have a non punchy dark/warm tone? I don't know, rickbass1, you would know.
    I don't think it would be a bad tone, just different.
    any of you guys got pics of your DP under construction (I've seen yours rickbass1)? I havn't got any of mine yet, man I want to see some :)
  17. rickbass

Chump - My guess is like yours. With all that walnut in the neck and mahogany for the back side of the body, I'm speculating it would definitely be "dark" and have a good deal of warmth. But as I said, that's "my guess." I've seen luthiers mention getting boards of wood that are very uncharacteristic for the specie in weight/resin content and the tone they produce is just surprising (for better or worse). So, Dave would be the real authority. I'm just talking "textbook."

Since the top is a figured maple, those are typically much thinner than the bottom wood and don't figure in as much tonally. But if Prague has a substantial piece of spalted maple that is typical rock maple he could get respectable punch and top end, especially with that ebony board.

Yeah, the party is really getting started on mine. Dave has been programming the computer for the laser cutting my neck inlays. He did a really nice job on the single body inlay - (the cocobolo won't be dark on the finished instrument) -
  18. rickbass1,
    I love the shape of that body, makes me wish I would have done something more with mine. kind of looks like its inspired by the CT's or a Rhapsody kind of style. looks like an awesome bass, I can't wait to see it when it's done.:)

that cocobolo rules, Dave said maybe if he has some around he would use it for my fretboard. I hope he does that would be awesome! but if not he will probably use pau farro.

yeah, usually exotic tops are not too thick. so, unless he gets like half the body thickness in that spalted maple, it probably wont be enough to effect the tone as much. I'm not sure how thick my zebrawood top is gonna be. but from what I've read about the tone of zebrano, I should like it. I did like you, I got the full top. you wont see the neck through from the front. inless that whole body is made of cocobolo. is that a top, or is that gonna be the whole body?

BTW that inlay looks sweet :D
  19. rickbass

Chump - I agree, the horn design does make one think of the Rhapsody. Actually, it is a very old, classic design taken from the shape of the bass clef. The ancient Martins, circa 1840-ish used the design for their headstocks. Thanks for the kind comments.

But the body is different from the Deans and CT's in that mine is relatively huge!!! "...that's the way, uh-huh, uh-huh, I like it...." and it is mucho thick. Dave couldn't even use the original, beautiful, board of cocobolo because he cut it like typical basses - too thin for my spec's.

I know the board of cocobolo he currently has because that's the one I found to replace the one I mentioned above. It would be terriffic if you get a fretboard from what's leftover. It's perfectly gorgeous exhibition grade cocobolo. The dealer even leaves a picture of it up at their website in their Gallery, even though they sold it to me months ago. Here's that board -

The cocobolo is about a 3/4" thick top. Although it's a neck through, the cocobolo is the entire top wood.

The bottom is a thick piece of California claro walnut burl.

If you want to see it so far, my online album is at