Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass identifacation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basslax, Oct 9, 2000.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    well, i went to my friends house for our little jam, and he had this old bass lying around. He wasnts to sell it to me for 15 bucks. The only marks on it are a J on the pots (one of which is missing), and other than that it looks like a jazz with big metal soapbar pickups. Does anyone have any idea what kind of bass this is?

thanks

2. for 15 bucks.. who cares?! :D

just buy it... :)

3. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Yeah go for it
    who knows you'll get a 500 bucks worth bass for 15 bucks :p

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If the neck is not twisted, you can tune it and it doesn't buzz like crazy, buy it!

You can always use another bass, and for that price, I'd buy it no matter how homely it looks, as long as it is playable.

5. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    yah i know, i wanted to buy it from the second i saw it, but i was just wondering if anyone knows who makes it. The input is messed up but with a little soder it will be just fine. Aslo, the scale seemes really short. Oh well..

6. Your description of the bass with the metal soapbar pickups sort of reminds me of a Jazz copy I had a long time ago. It was an "Electra" copy and it had the metal pickups. Not too bad as copies go, I used it as a slap bass to avoid digging up the fingerboard on my Precision.

Buy it, if the tuners are the big open variety, they could fetch $15 anytime.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Shoot, for fifteen bucks, even if it totally sucks, it would be a great knick-knack.

8. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    yeah, im gonna get it then defret it. that will be cool. thanks, does anyone know what kind of bass it is tho>?

9. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    dude, you buy it, and i will give you $25 for it