bass identification help please!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madinventions, Apr 28, 2012.

1. madinventions

madinventions

Sep 17, 2011
    So I was watching "the voice" and there was a 5 string upright bass featured in several clips, and was on stage for Jazz Ellington's performance.
    Anyone know what it is please?

2. Surely this would be in the DB forum?
    Btw, the voice is a great programme :D

3. madinventions

madinventions

Sep 17, 2011
    Cool, I'll post in that forum too.
    Thanks,
    Ed

4. madinventions

madinventions

Sep 17, 2011
    Just in case...
    5_string_upright_bass.jpg

5. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Zeta. Good luck in the DB forum. ;)

6. pneutral

pneutral

Apr 24, 2012
    I saw this and wondered too. I think this is the right thread as it seemed to be a bass guitar with a stand beneath it so you can play it oriented like a standup bass. Quite a neat idea.

7. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Gonna need some kevlar underwear.

8. madinventions

madinventions

Sep 17, 2011
    Awesome work - thanks guys! Never heard of Zeta before, and it would appear that they no longer exist which is a shame. Nice looking instrument though... :meh:

9. Yeah I'm pretty sure that's the shorter scale conversion bass from Zeta. They play fairly well, although that one appears to have more pickups as the original one I had only had piezo pickups.
    It can actually be played horizontally with a strap if you so choose too.
    Dirk

10. Dingo 8 my bass

Dingo 8 my bass

Feb 2, 2012
    It's a Zeta Crossover, there is an shadow below the piezo bridge making it look weird. I have one, has a very hot pickup...too hot, really. It has adjustable levels for each string and an overall gain adjust control inside the body. I just haven't messed with dialing it in yet. It takes long scale electric bass strings, I believe chromes are standard. The coolest thing about it is the neck is radiused so you can play arco style. It needs a little chorus IMHO, though, to make it really sing. I love the thing, it's unfortunate that Zeta tanked, but their QC was lacking. 10 years ago I ordered my bass direct from them, it arrived without the bout, which makes it very difficult to play upright, and the only literature was a warranty card. A diagram of the tone knobs would have been nice too, considering the jack you drop on one of these.

I get a lot of compliments on it, but mainly a lot of, "what the hell is that thing?"

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021