1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass identification

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jglines, Oct 2, 2016.

1. jglines

jglines

Oct 2, 2016
    Hey all. Im wondering if you can help me identify this bass. Im looking at doing a trade for some work which will give it to me for close to nothing. However, im not interested in getting a BSO. I just want something i can play on and enjoy. A plywood bass is perfect for my needs so no need for an exceptional bass either. They are calling it a engelhardt swingmaster but im sure its not that because the fingerboard appears to be rosewood or cherry. Im thinking maybe an EM1? Also, im not even sure its an engelhardt at all. Ive never seen them in white. I went and looked at it today and there is no sticker inside anywhere. I put my bow across it and got what i think is some pretty good tone but im afraid i cant compare to the sound of other basses ive played. Any input and help is welcome! Thanks!

Also ill post some more pics. The seller is going to get me some more as well
    00A0A_dt5uodSyrgx_1200x900.

2. jglines

jglines

Oct 2, 2016
    00505_8x28WTCTeHc_1200x900. 00a0a_hTEdkLmrWud_1200x900.

3. jglines

jglines

Oct 2, 2016
    00707_9qqdzIgPxLH_1200x900. 00m0m_7vOOi19nLQC_1200x900.

4. jglines

jglines

Oct 2, 2016
    A few more details:
    The end pin has been replaced and the tail piece (metal) appears to have been as well. The white coating has been removed from the neck which im not even convinced is a factory finish. It almost looks like someone re-coated it but im not sure? Thanks again

5. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Looks like an inexpensive Stentor Rockabilly bass. The finish is very likely stock.

6. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Those volutes don't say Englehardt to me. Also, the lack of a label would be unusual.

7. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
  8. jglines

jglines

Oct 2, 2016
    Hey thanks for the replies!

Im not sure what a stentor bass is but i will look it up. Agreed on the volutes. Im not sure if they've been changed or not but i haven't seen any englehardts with this style

9. jglines

jglines

Oct 2, 2016
    You are convinced of this?

10. jglines

jglines

Oct 2, 2016
    Would you say its worth my time then? Im researching them now

11. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    As sure as I can be without a playing it or seeing a label. The body shape, F-holes, tailpiece, tuners, finish are typical. I've played a couple over the years at the music store a couple of blocks from my office/studio and yes, I'm pretty sure it's a Stentor. The comparison between the OP's pics and the what's on the link I posted doesn't convince you?

12. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Honestly the ones played were pretty much total POS and my luthier who's worked on a bunch of them has an extremely low opinion of them.

13. jglines

jglines

Oct 2, 2016
    No id say you nailed it! Now im a bit disappointed. Now ive gotta find out if they are worthy instruments. Again, i dont need exceptional but i also dont want a bass that i will not enjoy.

14. jglines

jglines

Oct 2, 2016
    What gets me is the owner said he paid $1200 for it used. He must have gotten ripped off!

15. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I'd say he did. Just checking now the Long & McQuade website (the store I've seen them at) with a bag and a bow they're $1700CND new which at the current exchange rate is about $1300USD. I'd keep looking....

16. jglines

jglines

Oct 2, 2016
    Thanks Jeff! In your opinion do you think this is an instrument worth owning? Buying one is not an option for me and i can get this one for just a bit of work. However, i don't want a giant piece of junk im my garage that i will need to get rid of eventually. So really, it comes down to... get this bass or dont have a bass for years to come. Thanks for your patience!!

17. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Aw man don't think for a nanosecond it's this BSO (bass shaped object) or nothing! It's very likely total junk but there is always going to be a playable bass to be found if you have patience. Where are you located?

18. jglines

jglines

Oct 2, 2016
    Im in salem Oregon. I simply dont have money and i can get it for just some work. But if it's a BSO i dont want it in my house. I just want to know if it is or not. I sure wish it had a tag. For all i know i might be passing up a great opportunity

19. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Get someone experienced to look at it. Don't buy ANY bass on your own. There's just too much you don't have the experience to see. It's incredibly easy to buy a crappy sounding bass that will end up costing 3-4 times what it's worth just make it playable. I'm not exaggerating.

Save at least $1200 (more is better) and be patient. For that money you can get a laminated bass that will be fun to play and won't need much (if any) work right away. I'd contact bassist Tyler Abbot who's an instructor at the University of Oregon and ask him if he knows of any basses for sale locally right now and who the local luthiers are. He might not have time to give you lessons or help you find a bass but he might have an advanced student who could and not charge you a lot. Seriously man you really can't do this on your own. But being in a university town with a music department you have at least one good resource....use it. Do some homework and get the right bass.

20. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    If it is a Stentor, Jeff's right in saying that this probably wasn't a killer deal for the present owner. However, I'd venture to state that Stentors, while cheap, don't quite qualify as BSOs. They're also the parent company of Pirastro strings. While they definitely supply the low threshold of "student-level" instruments (if you want to call them that), I don't know if they're in the same league as Palatino and Cremona. The value of this instrument may center on how cheaply you're getting it for.