Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass identification.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by voicelessone, Jun 2, 2005.

1. voicelessone

voicelessone

Dec 15, 2004
    I would be immensely grateful if someone could please identify my bass. It is (as far as I know) a Japanese model, made before last year (2000 rings a bell) and is a SR606JM Sig (The JM was DEFONATELY on the end, the number may have been different) I paid 360 pounds for it in February this year, I am now looking to sell it to get an Aerodyne and would love to have web links to show prospective purchasers.

[​IMG]
    (Apologies for size if it is too big)

Many many thanks in advance,

Russ.

2. it looks like an Ibanez bass...

3. was just going to say that

4. spindizzy

spindizzy

Apr 12, 2004
    Michigan
    I am fairly sure that is a Sound Gear 400 which I believe is manufactured by Ibenez. Sound Gear is to Ibenez what Epiphone used to be to Gibson. I happen to have one of the fretless versions which as cheap basses go isn't too bad. Probably worth a couple hundred used as Blue Book goes. I never play mine anymore having gone completely to 7 strings but as I recall it has a very skinny neck and fairly tight string spacing. The most useful aspect of it was the passive pups that were on it, very much like the sound of a standard fender PJ bass.

5. They often have the model number on the back of the headstock, jus incase you havent looked :)

6. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    According to Ibanez catalog, this is Ibanez SR640 (model available in Europe only). For sure.

7. spindizzy

spindizzy

Apr 12, 2004
    Michigan
    I hate to disagree with our friend Fozzy but when I got home today I took a close look at my Sound Gear fretlesss and another look at the headstock pictured here and it diffinately has the Sound Logo which is basically an upper case SD followed by a script like GR. I stand by my earlier claim it is a Sound Gear 400.

8. spindizzy

spindizzy

Apr 12, 2004
    Michigan
    I guess I have to fall on my sword and appologize to Fozzy. I can't disagree with the photos. Just can't figure out why they have the Sound Gear logo on the headstock but it's in the ad so it must be true. Perhaps the Sound Gear line got absorbed into the regular line. Don't know. Props to Fozzy, Spindizzy down one.

9. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    All SR series basses have soundgear logo, that's all :D