Bass ignorant - Bigtime.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Plaster, May 17, 2005.

1. Plaster

May 17, 2005
    Here's the deal, me and my two bandmates, a drummer and a guitarist, are playing a song
    that we came up with through the guitar just playing four notes, over and over again,
    and after awhile, I came up with my own bassline, wich was just playing 16th's of the notes
    that were before those that the guitar played, and the drummer came up with his own drum beat.

Everything was going fine, until one day they decide, without telling me, that the song has to
    go much faster then we played it before, wich was pretty fast. Fine.

And then, when we play it, the drummer starts going continually faster, and faster, and faster,
    at the end of each verse. Without even noticing it himself, and when I told him he was going to fast he's like "No I didn't, your going to slow."

Im like, what the ****, this song is going way to fast! Can't we slow it down a little?

And the guitarist says "No, because I wrote it. Its supposed to go like that."

And im like, "LOL, no it isn't, it was way slower before, plus, YOU didn't write it, we all did"

He says "Dude, guitar is the HARDEST instrument, because I sing, AND play the chords."
    "Bass is the easiest, just 4 strings, like this, *plucks one single G-note, not in tempo, like it's
    the easiest thing in the world* *laughing*

Grrr, *calls dogs*...
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Did you actually say "LOL?"

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    You beat me to it!!!

Seriously, though, I don't anything about your band's chemistry, relationship, etc., but, depending upon those factors, i would seriously consider getting the hell out of that band. Bandmates who do not understand the role of each instrument have no business writing songs to begin with. I know that's a heavy-handed opinion, but it's one based upon my own experience and I'm not necessarily suggesting that it is a hard fast rule that should be adhered to by everyone.
  4. hellion462606

May 16, 2005
    hand him the bass and ask him to play some Jaco or anything harder than a Blink182 riff. Watch him stumble.
  5. Plaster

May 17, 2005
    Your psychic.

I just passively got the hell outta that band since our so called "band leader" (the drummer) is supposed to call me when its a rehersal day about that time we are rehersing, only the thing is, that he never calls me, LOL.

So instead, I started calling HIM, asking "Rehersal today?" And we'd come up with a time.

Now, ive stopped calling, and even though he's like "Rehersal today, I will call you later." in school, when I meet him,
    he never calls.

Ah, screw them, they sucked anyway.

PS. No, I didn't say LOL, I said something more like, well give me a f*cking break. DS
  6. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I actually say "LOL" outloud sometimes, but only because I associate mainly with geeks who understand the subtle irony of saying things like this.
  7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Tash: The true test of geekdom is illustrated by someone's ability to understand the term "ROTFLMAO" (pronounced "Rottleflamow").

8. Plaster

May 17, 2005
    Rolling on the floor laughing my *ss off.

Any of your guys bandmates ignored the bass and made you play too fast because bass was 'easy'?
  9. Judge2003

Mar 26, 2005
    My (crappy) bands drummer once told me bass was easy while he was trying to play guitar

So I went a grabbed my bass and said "play something"

So he takes and says "wow, this is big"

He has never made a 'bass is easy' comment since
  10. I like to show sexy basses to my band members, and my guitarist once said that 'Bassists have to by extravagant basses to hide their shortcomings.'

The problem is, my guitarist HAS to be right, he wont accept he isn't.

I just told him he sucked, I mean, how does one (even as witty as a bass player) come back to this?
  11. "I use them to take attention away from your hideous face"

12. Hekbass

May 21, 2005
    Zephyrhills, FL
    Well said!! I almost rolled on the floor laughing my @ss off, but today it's been a really crappy day, so I didn't go that far...but still, Thanks for that. :D
  13. oldgreyOlds

May 12, 2005
    Delta, BC
    you should have told him that its better to use looks to hide shortcomings rather than using $2000 effects racks to cover shortcomings.
  14. Wow, even better. I do understand the quality that a multitude of effects can bring to a guitarists playing, but I completely agree that most of it is just to cover up bad, or over-simple playing (or cranking up the volume past the point where one can think clearly).
  15. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    OMGWTF d00d
  16. MazeMouse

Jan 27, 2005
    pimproflmao :p (try that one on for size ;))

17. slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    well said! that goes in the bassist comeback archive! ;)
  18. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I pronounce ROFLMAO as rowfulluhmayo.
    That aside. If the guys in your band don't know much at all about other instruments in the least bit, it makes me wonder how much they know of their own.
  19. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003

I don know cuz any1 OMFG tha bas like Slipknot, OMFG!!!111oneoneone

......classic! :D
  20. KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    I dont know why, but I could not stop laughing when I saw that