Bass Importance

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by h3llRa][seR, Apr 7, 2003.

1. I have to do a paper for school and I need help coming up with a strong arguement as to why the bass is so important in music.

So I ask why is the bass so important? What makes it so important?

any replies would be greatly appreciated.

NOTE: If you mods think there is a better place for this thread by all means go ahead and move it.
  2. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    It just is.
    You hear alot more songs without guitars and keyboards and etc.......... but how many do you really hear without bass???
    Guitarists and Drummers are too dumb to understand each other so bass players have to be there to translate for them.
  3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    With out the bass there would be almost nothing in the low frequencies besides the kick drum. That is a very strong argument, as no one can argue with it.
  4. "All eyes may be upon the star, but their butts are shaking to the bass guitar!!" - Gene Simmons, I think.

There's your answer.

Rock on
  5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Me: With out the bass there would be almost nothing in the low frequencies besides the kick drum.

Me: thats a strong statement man, you cant argue with that

Guitarist freind: nah i beg to differ, meshuggah did a whole tour without a bassist

Me: yeah well look how low they de-tune man

After a while of him babbling how low Meshuggah detune he says:

Guitarist freind: sooooooooooo you do not really need a bass to play the bottom end, you buy a thing called an octaver, or you just tune down a octave, and cessils your aunty

Will they ever learn :rolleyes:
  6. that's a new one :p :D

BTW, best tap water in the world? That's a good one! :D
  7. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    The bass, certainly as used in many fields of western music, helps glue together the rythymic and harmonic elements of the song.

If you want an analogy, how about rhythym as the floor, harmony as the walls, and melody as the roof. In this picture, bass is the foundation - not always obvious but fundamentally important.

Maybe you can get some extra marks if you recognise that the bass can also play other roles in the music, and that other instruments can play the part often assigned to bass. It would be more accurate to say that the bass is vital to many styles of music, rather than just music per se.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

The other side to that coin is when Meshuggah did that it sounded like garbage. :D
  9. Can you clarify your question please? Are you asking about "the bass" as in the bass guitar, or as in bass in general (regardless of what instrument is producing it?
  10. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    If I were the teacher marking the essay, that would be the crux of the whole thing - recognising the difference between the collection of instruments called bass and the musical function they often play.

In other words, you can have perfectly good bass without bass and bass doesn't have to be limited to playing the bass. Is that enough bass for ya, or do ya want me to turn it up?:bassist: ;)

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Go get a book on choral harmony (try the library..."Harmony" by Walter Piston is a good one) and the answers are in there.

The Bass FUNCTION whether it's a BG, a URB, a tuba or a vocalist is critical to western diatonic harmony.
  12. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    If you think of a song as an ice cream sundae, then bass is the dish.

You ever try to eat a hot fudge sundae without a dish?

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    seeing as this is music related, i'm going to move it off to misc.
  14. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Ahhh an educated response,and the right one.Notice the capitals on function,there is the key to your answer.
  15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Make your teacher listen to a White Stripes CD with a loaded gun on the table.

....Oh, I forgot....on their latest CD, Stripes figured out that adding bass would make their music have much more impact.
  16. Pick another subject NOW. Bass has no importance in music. Just listen to the White Stripes, they r0xo43 your s0x off and they have no bass.

Just joking just joking. Bass is kinda like the duct tape that keeps the back on the remote control. It pretty much translate the Drum beat into notes which gives the Guitarist or Keyboardist or whatever the right chords and beat to the song. Thats my $.25 cents, Peace
  17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Meshuggah did a tour without a bassist? Maybe,,, but I do know that while the bassist was out for one tour, Fredrik HIMSELF picked up the bass, and even played lead on it! OH yeah, they did, for a while, tour without a bassist. they had to, and Thordendal used a octave pedal for some resemblance of a bass.

So tell you're idiot friend, that bass is ALWAYS needed, in one form or another.
  18. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    While some of the stuff sounds neato, it sounds very shallow.
  19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Note my previous post - some of their latest stuff DOES have bass. Their material that does has at least twice the impact of that cheap, out of tune, guitar doing it alone.