1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass in a 2009-2015 Prius?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by dylanjohnson, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Hey all,
    I know this topic has been discussed, but can anyone definitely tell me that a 3/4 sized DB will or will not fit on its side with one seat folded forward and one up in a Prius? I've been driving a Vibe (Toyota Matrix) for the last 9 years, and I need to have one seat up for my daughter's car seat.

I'm asking about the 3rd gen 2009-2015 Prius.

Also, would this work in a Honda Fit?

Thanks!

2. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA

You might have better luck in the DB section of this forum, just saying.

3. DUH! Sorry, don't know how i switched sides. Thanks!

blastoff99 likes this.
  4. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA

You can't go back, you know (devil emoji)

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  5. I don’t know exactly how he does it, but my teacher drives a newer Prius (one of the taller models) and fits his massive full sized bass in there with his gear. Also one of my friends fits her bass in the much smaller Prius C by lowering down the passenger seat. You can definitely fit a bass in a Prius, I just don’t know if there can be one seat up for your daughter.

Randy Ward likes this.
  6. I'm firmly on both sides of this coin!

7. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    I do not understand why there are 2 different off topic forums. I mean OT is OT. I was informed that it is because the DB players don’t want to associate with BGers, even when the topic has nothing to do with bass or music. SAD.

8. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    That will definitely work in a Fit. The back seat doesn't split 50/50 though, more like 60/40, I think I tried it both ways and the larger seat down worked better. But it should work both ways

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Inky13 and ColdEye like this.
  9. Inara

Inara Fretless Femme Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    I see your point, but I don't really mind it this way. It's just like having two different bars, with different decor and atmosphere, and all are welcome to patronize either or both. Or neither.

Randy Ward likes this.
  10. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    If you’ve ever been to the other side, you’d know that even their crickets are bored. :sleep:

Gazman likes this.
  11. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I've done it with no issue

12. Inara

Inara Fretless Femme Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    I frequent the other side quite a decent amount, as I double on upright. Different strokes and all, lol.

D M C likes this.
  13. My wife has a 2013 Prius with a car seat and I've used the car for a gig here and there. It works fine.

14. I think it might be related more to the communities on either side.

D M C likes this.
  15. jlmorgan84

jlmorgan84 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Seneca, SC
    My wife drives a 2009 Prius, and I have successfully transported my bass in it many times. Fold down the back seats, put the scroll between the front seats and you're good to go, bit of a tight fit, but works fine.

...just reread the original post, I need to fold down both back seats to get it to work for me, might be possible with one, but I've never attempted it.

16. Michael, which year of Fit do you have experience with?

17. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014

18. I checked out a 2010 Prius and the only way to fit it is on the 60 side on it's back. Tight, to say the least. It is too bad because it actually is pretty spacious, but mostly for the passengers. The Matrix/Vibe is really the perfect bass car.

19. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I can confirm that you can fit a 3/4 bass and one child seat in a 2010 Fit.

20. JayLaughlin

JayLaughlin

Sep 15, 2016
    Seattle
    I can't speak for the base model Prius specifically, but my PriusV (2013) is not a problem.

I lower the larger side of the back seat. My daughter's side stays up. 3/4 bass goes in with a headrest under the heel of the neck for support. The scroll ends up between the two front seats just a bit. Two adults, one child, and the bass.

There's even room in the back for her 1/10th size double bass.

D M C likes this.