bass in church? only the americans

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kitcar765, Feb 1, 2006.

1. i noticed many of you play bass in church, it seems quite popular in america. over here in england i have never heard of anyone making refrences to playing in church. whats the deal? is it for fun or do you play like hoily music? i got nothing againt religion im just intrested.
  2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    I used to play in a contemporary ensemble in my Church. We played a more modern sound fo worship style music for services, but with a very classic feel.
  3. so you play like hoily music? whats this like? is it chilled or full of energy like punk or what? do you sing about god and stuff? i find it fasinating, guitars in shurch, do they let you play at high volume? i probably find it a little biszare becouse the only people who seem to go to church over here are normaly over 70's people who realy wouldent apresiate guitar music.
  4. Some of the music that I play in church sound just like anything you'd hear on any radio station. There's some pretty good gospel music, like Fred Hammond, Jason Upton, Thousand Foot Krutch, etc. There's a lot of great local christian groups over here too, one of my favorite local bands I know of is ...or Agape ( You may not hear TFK on Sunday morning, but I've played Hammond, Upton and Fuller Still style stuff on Sunday mornings. And there's youth events put on by churches and other organizations, and the kids want music they can relate to too.

That's why there's bass in church, we play good music...sometimes...sometimes it can still get cheezy, depends on who's leading :)

I like it, not only because I am serving God and the church, but I'm playing tastey music and don't have to deal with that bar/club scene. I just had enough of that a while ago, plus I'd rather play from 8-11am Sunday morning instead of 10pm-2am Saturday night. But that's just me.
  5. My father-in-law's cousins are all from England. This summer a few of them came for a visit and they were all very intrigued by this too. They said that church was just viewed differently in the US and in Europe. They were excited to see "the was church in the US trying to meet the people where they are, not trying to bring the people back to the 1800's to go to church". (their words, not mine)
  6. I can't remember the last time I went to church for something other than a wedding or a funeral, but I too find it intriguing. I'm in Toronto, and no church I ever went to had anything other than an organ.
  7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006

Well, we used to play the standard music you might here in church, but with a more modern sound, kind of jazzy, some with an r&b sound, and others just plain and straight forward. The volume was very respectfull, and we were quite popular there. It is becoming far more common these days to have a small ensemble play at churches. Also, I am Roman Catholic, so I know what you mean about not seeing it normally. The Roman Catholic Church is usually very strict about these things, but I think we did it well and very respectful.
  8. Only an organ? man, that's too bad. Church should rock/groove/thump just as nice as anything else.
  9. matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    The first service I attended at our church, they opened with a Metallica song. I wondered if I was in the right place, but as the service went on I found that the song related to the topic they were speaking on. I found it to be a refreshing approach. I ended up playing Kiss, Twisted Sister, Rolling Stones, Bowie and P.O.D among others. Great way to serve in my opinion, and a great way to relate to people who might not otherwise come into a church.
  10. At my church they have a normal mass, but later in the day they'll have a more modern service with a band.
  11. ^^Which Metallica song was it?

When I was younger (like 7 or 8 I think) I remember going to something called "Rock Mass". It was the exact same thing as going to regular mass, except they had a "rock" band on a stage to the side and in place of psalms and organ music, they had upbeat rock music with religious lyrics. It was kinda cheesy IMO, but it made church a lot more tolerable for kids, and it gave the place a much more energetic vibe then the usual solemn feel of a church.
  12. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I ended up playing Kiss, Twisted Sister, Rolling Stones, Bowie and P.O.D among others. Great way to serve in my opinion, and a great way to relate to people who might not otherwise come into a church.
    Reinventing myself yet again: Reverend basses and searching for "the" tube amp and cab combo.

LOL you play in church and use a Reverend bass? LOL I like it!

13. ...and I beleive P.O.D. has christian roots... so they fit for sure.
  14. matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Nothing Else Matters.

It was a very unusual first encounter. They were looking at the movie "American Beauty", not exactly a Christian flick, from the viewpoint of the main character looking for something more to his life and could that void have been filled if he had looked to God.

LOL you play in church and use a Reverend bass? LOL I like it!

First time I used the bass was at our "parent" church(big outfit, two locations, seven services each weekend), before I play a single note the soundman says to me "uh, what kind of bass is that?" I tell him and he's got a sceptical look. After the soundcheck he comes back and says "I don't know what that thing cost you, but it was worth every penny." Made my day.
  15. do you have to be realy religious to attend these sorta guitar based get togthers? it seems a good idea to bring younger people into the church. is playing in church for only the older guitarists? or is it for all ages? surely their is a limit to musical creativity when the church is involved? i feel like its a good idea to help bring comunitys togther, just seems to raise a few questions in my mind. i have heard some religious rock music and it seemed very very bizare to me, sorta glamouring religion. any other thoughts people?
  16. I don't think it is only in America, but I don't know maybe it is.
    I'm the bassist for my church and it is the only "venue" I play.

To try and answer your question about "for fun or holy music".
    I can't speak for everyone else who plays in the church setting but for me it is both. IMHO God gave me this talent / love for music AND does want us as humans to have fun. I chose to do both while worshiping Him.
    Again IMHO some of the best bassists are in or come from the Gospel arena (my taste in music).

When I was a kid I went to one particular church where music consisted of only the piano and organ.
    Now I go to a church where there is a full compliment of music. Horns, drums, keys, g****r, and of course BASS.:D

Without getting into a religious debate there are biblical scriptures directly relating to Gods view of music and His adoration of it. So I am all in it laying down the groove.

The volume level is as loud as any concert I have been to. My situation is playing before a congregation of about 1000-1200 people. And the tunes range from hymnals to modern such as Fred Hammond, Miss. Mass Choir, Third Day, Mercy Me, etc. From my churches viewpoint it is about creating an atmosphere of worship and praise that is pleasing through both the lyrical content and musical content.

My 2cents.

Happy thumping!:cool:
  17. i like the idea of updateing the church i think its the only way the church can stay running, many many churches in england have closed due to lack of attendance many are falling into disrepair, i think its parting due to the lack of youth in the church. i find it hard to find guitarist and drumers who arnt into heavy drinking and alcohol and other unhoily things, i would probably benifit from being able to jam at church. when you do go and jam is it heavily influcded by god? or do you get relastive freedome over your music? (obiously satanist bands probably wouldent be aloweed). has anyone who has played in church been critasised by members of sosiety for bring guitar music into church?
  18. Norway: Masses i lutheran churches often contain instrumental parts with both rock/pop/jazz, but certainly linked to the content of the mass
  19. well anyway its late, i will join the thread again tomoro. in conclusion i guess bass realy is godly, i always though so much! last time i did anything to do with bass in church is when i broke the huge bass bell pulling to hard, knew it was a bad idea having a go at the bells.
  20. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    My church Rocks! The music is REALLY good but I can see why some people would think that it would be boring or whatever. My church is Non-denominational which is basically a "come as you are" kind of setting. Unless you really focus on the lyrics, it's the kind of music that you would hear on most radio stations. There have been a few times that we broke into "Alll along the Watchtower" in the middle of a worship song...