Bass in College

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kwelch28, Jan 8, 2002.

1. kwelch28

Aug 31, 2000
    Allegany, NY
    I want to attend school for electric bass, but I don't know what to expect. If anyone has or are attending college for electric bass could you please fill me in on what it takes, how it is and what to do after?
  2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Im a student at berklee collage of music.Electric is my magor and double bass is my minor (not really how the school defines it but that pretty much whats goin on)Im 34 years old and for fifteen years before school I worked as a bass player in the boston area.
    This is what you can expect...... WORK!!!!
    lots of it. more than normal school ( unless your pre med).
    think about it you have to go to class, do the homework and then practice as much as you can just so you can play better (I try to pratice at least 4 hours a day )thats pretty much 16 hour days. though I take sundays off to avoid burnout.

hope this helps

3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Ed speaks the truth.Thats the world I live in.

Hey Ed, when were you at berklee exactly? we might have some mutual friends Mike Rivard,Tom Heddan ?was a MP&E magor/bass player 81-85 he was my nieghbor and the first big Impact on me musically he taught me the first bass line I knew the theme to Barney Miller
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'm going to school for bass (both upright and electric) at the university of wisconsin - madison.

the uw has a much more classical based music curriculum - but it gets your chops up. the music theory program is HARD here - supposedly one of the hardest in the country right now, and you won't even be able to get into the first semester class without knowing your stuff. my bass teacher is richard davis, so that's very cool :D sweet guy, great player...although we haven't worked on electric at all. (hmm...maybe that's because i suck on upright? :rolleyes: ) but i play electric in the jazz band, so it's all good. my recommendation is to go to a school in which there are gigs outside of the school - places to play and people to play with. IMO, that's the most important part.

so lets see - make sure you can read music, and learn as much theory as you can. be familiar with every style of music, and i'd definitely recommend picking up the upright and seeing what you can do with it.

as for what to do after...your guess is as good as mine!!! :D

seriously though, that's why i'm doing a BA Music major instead of a Bachelor of Music - to give me a broader range of non-music classes, so if my rockstar thing doesn't work out i have SOMETHING.

5. carvindude26

carvindude26 Guest

Dec 31, 2001
    Miami FL
    im only A freshman in high school but im really intrested in bass. i play(elecrtic) bass in school in my guitar class cause my teacher lets me in which i have learned how to sight read music. but he also teaches double bass, and i want to go to a college for music like u guys.. so what would be like the best thing to do right now? and what are some good music programmed colleges that i should keep my eyes open for ?

6. hey im in the same situation your in, im also a freshmen in high school. Next year im going to try to get in the school jazz band. Looks like i will get in, since the teacher said the the bass play they already have has alot to learn, and i know some stuff. But I was hopeing to go to collage for music. Mabey music theory. I live in north florida by UF (home of the gators) and if im right they have a class like that. So like Carvindude26 would be the best thing to do now?
  7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    carvin and metal

Just keep doin what your doin you guys bolth have teachers just do what they say and keep doin what they say.
    Try and keep a normal social life too.When I was in high school I didnt do anything but play bass in my bedroom ,while this is good for your chops you dont get to learn alot of social skills. Its really important in life and as a bass player ( because you allways play with a band) to learn how to get along with people how to listen to and accept the different ways people comunicate.

There is lots of schools with great music programs. Think about where (city ) you want to be and what you can afford You bolth have a couple of years before you have to make that choice
    Carvin, I believe University of miami has a strong music program .I think Will Lee's dad teaches there.

Hope this helps
  8. kwelch28

Aug 31, 2000
    Allegany, NY
    what do most people do after going to college for bass?
  9. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Sounds like something for Miscellaneous to me. Moved.
  10. bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    what about if u wanna go to college and study music but not major in it. cause i love the bass. but i dont think that i want to make a living off of it. i would rather prefer just getting my chops up and being able to play all i want to in clubs on weekends. i mean playing pro would be great... but its kinda unrealistic. so i was wondering do most colleges have a music section that you can take classes from even if u dont major in music. cause i would defenetly but forth the extra effort to take some music theory/composing/technique/ jazz ect.

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yes,there are music departments in pretty much all colleges. You have time to prepare, though.

What's so unrealistic about becoming a musician?
  12. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    I think he means it would be unrealistic for him to be a pro muso. And that's cool...we need somebody to make the money! (no flames here, I'm a pro muso). :)
  13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    My undergraduate degree was in electrical engineering from University of Connecticut. Like most state colleges, they had a music department and since all students have humanities requirements, I took a number of music courses. Music theory, piano for non-pianists (get credits for learning to play the piano!!), solfege, etc.

An engineering colleague of mine attended Worcester Polytechnic Institute and got an EE major and music minor (they have a strong jaz z program, unusual for a tech school).

I strongly urge ANYBODY here at TalkBass who is or will be attending college to take advantage of the music courses available. Why not study something you really love while you have the chance?
  14. bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    my thoughts exactly