Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Influences for a not so well rounded player...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dabshire, May 2, 2003.

1. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    OK,

So I'm trying to expand my mind and my playing a bit, to try and get some more ideas for lines, soloing, etc. I grew up playing U2, the Cure, etc, type basslines (you know root, root, root, root, sometimes the fifth, more root, root, root). I have started to listen to (and love) guys like Vic Wooten, Bunny Brunell, Gary Willis, and Jaco, but they are lightyears above me.

Can anyone recommend a decent bassist (or any musician for that matter) that I could listen to and get some ideas?

Thanks,

Don

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    What's wrong with listening to the guys that you say that you love? Sure you may not have the technical chops that these guys have, but there are musical ideas to be had even if it's the idea that you wouldn't do a particular thing or would play something differently. Listen to a lot more music, in a lot more styles and genres.

3. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Phil,

Totally agree. Still, I would like to find some players who's lines I might be able to learn. While I do learn and absorb from listening, I think I get more from playing the lines and seeing what's going on. I'm still fairly new to the whole Jazz/Fusion genre (about a year or so) and I love it.

Thanks for the advice.

Don

:)

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Listen to James Jamerson. Great lines.

5. I recommend listening and playing along to loads of Frank Zappa albums. "The best band you never heard in your life", "Does humor belong in music?" and "Roxy and elsewhere" are some of my favourite play along albums.
    A lot of songs are a bit hard, but far from impossible to learn and the records contain many different styles of music ranging from jazz and funk to rock and reggae. The level of difficulty varies quite a lot to, so you can start out with the easy ones and advance on to the harder ones and finally the insane ones...

EDIT: Many of his songs (on those records at least) are very jam friendly with long single chord solo passages and verses. Great for learning!

6. re. the Cure, check out the more melodic basslines-
    eg. "sinking", "lovesong", "club america", "piggy in the mirror", "primary".

check out Bernard Edwards' playing with Chic, sister sledge etc. for simple+ effective, funky playing.

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Listen to Sting. He comes up with interesting, albeit usually nontechnical lines.

Check out any of Charlie Haden's recordings. He's as basic as it gets, but he plays for the song.

8. These are the non virtuoso bass players that I would recommend listening to:

Stu Zender (Jamiroquai first 3 albums)
    Dirk Lance (Incubus .. listen to their first albums preferly)
    P-Nut (311)
    Ryan Martine (Mudvayne .. I don't like this band really, but this guy has some killer lines with killer tone)
    Steffan Lessard (Dave Mattews band)

Of course, those are only bassplayers that I like, and they are quite commercial and known.. so they might be nothing new to you, but if you really grew up with mostly U2 kind of stuff, and want to expand, but those bassist you named are just too much for you right now, listening to these bands could give you a different taste..
    Most of the music of those bands seems to be completely bass based.

I hope you get some more good recommendations.

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Listen to McCartney - particularly from about 1966 to 1969 (i.e. Revolver through till Abbey Road).

Revolver, Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album, Abbey Road.

Not virtuoso, but original, and very nicely done.

10. Desdenova

Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    For fusion, I submit that there is no one greater than Al DiMeola. "Race With the Devil On Spanish Highway" and "Suite: Golden Dawn" are both great. Pretty sure the first was with Anthony Jackson, and Golden Dawn had Jaco Pastorius on bass. I really can't remember where I left the Anthology album offhand.

11. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Sweden
  12. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    How about checking out some bassists in the bassists forum? Might get more responses there............

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    You just mentioned 4 good ones right there. Others are:

Jeff Berlin
    Stu Ham
    James Jamerson
    Rocco Prestia
    Tony Levin
    Nathen East
    Scott Ambush

If ya do a search on this type of topic you'll yield loads of results. Also check the FAQ, you'll find loads of good ones in there too.

14. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    cant forget about DONALD"DUCK' DUNN,his lines are as complex and fun to play as you can get,if you want to add a little groove to your sound give the duck a call(member of original BLUES BROTHERS BAND)and session player for many of staxxs records bands:bassist:

15. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    take a look at Infectius Grooves

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Mike Watt (w/fIREHOSE or Minutemen or solo)
    Tony Levin (w/Peter Gabriel, King Crimson, Liquid Tension Experiment and others)
    Chris Wood (w/Medeski, Martin & Wood or on John Scofield's 'A Go Go')
    Jesse Murphy (on Scofield's Uberjam)
    Remy Shand has some killer grooves on his disk too.

just to list a few of my favorites

17. Listen to Cake.

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    oh yeah!!! great stuff!

19. Its weird how whenever i mention Cake, people say "oh yeah, Cake's great, i love them!" but still nobody ever seems to mention them. Oh well.

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Tony Levin - Peter Gabriel's "Secret World Live" is great along with King Crimson's Thrak, Discipline or Three of a Perfect Pair

Jerry Jemmott - Listen to his playing on BB King's Completely Well album even if you're not a blues fan. Bouncy!

Most 70's funk.

brad cook