1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Injuries

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Bigfoot414, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Hey there, bass fans

I was wondering, how many of you have hurt themselves during a live gig, by their own instrument?

To start off this thread:

[​IMG]

Sorry for the image, it looks much worse than it actually is.

In fact, this happens to me all the time at good gigs.

The blood comes from my hand, obviously, but the gold paint that once covered the bridge, has worn of due to heavy sweating issues :)

2. Wasn't my bass, but after a show I was (very drunkenly) wrapping my cables and the jack cranked me right above my right eyebrow. Bled terribly and I still have the scar.

Another time I was changing strings with my bass across my lap. The bass slid and the headstock got me in the mouth, breaking my tooth. The tooth had been broken before, so it really only broke the bonding. Still a sucky time tho.

3. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I dropped dead of sudden cardiac arrest after an audition with a band... It's old news now since I back alive but that's just me ;)

4. LUpton

LUpton Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Probably too old for this sh--
    Umm.. I think you win...

Kustom_Thunder likes this.
  5. Understatement of the year... Glad you're still with us dbase!

6. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    When I first started playing I tried stringing up my 4 string BEAD. Had no calluses yet and was doing a bunch of slides and junk on the B string and it took a chunk out of my finger. Its as at least a 4mm chink of skin. Wedged into the outer wrap on the string too. I left it there. Thought it was pretty metal. :bassist:

7. I used to regularly burst my fingers onto the pickups hahaha. One time I was smacking my bass for show so hard I got an electric buzz up my arm. ;P Haven't done it in quite a while now. I remember one time at a gig(more so an ex singer injury) I was really rocking it in a certain song, my singer was head banging upwards as I was thrusting my bass neck down. He smacked his head right into my headstock and screamed sooooo loud.. Looking back it was funny, but lucky he didn't get a concussion from the thing haha.

8. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    All of my guitars have blood on them from my strumming hand knuckles getting cut open.

The only time I've bled on a bass was when I was trying out for a band and I got cut pretty bad at work earlier that day. The cut was on my plucking finger and broke open in the middle of a song. I didn't notice until the guitarist asked me if I was okay and pointed at my bass. The poor bass was covered....

9. gerard_66six

gerard_66six

Nov 21, 2011
    Philippines
    Bursted fingers....yeah

Attached Files:

10. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Sliced a finger open on the edge of a pickup (MM Sabre, playing with a pick) and didn't realize it at the time. Guitar players wife has a pic of me after I'd wiped sweat off my forehead and left a light smear of blood. Light smear, it wasn't anything particularly showy.

11. Playing at a Hulabaloo club for the first time and they had black lights. A young lady comes in with a fishnet top over a white tiny bra. I watched her go by and as I turned I got my legs wound up in my cord and fell off a three foot stage. Broke the neck of my Guild bass and sprained my knee. It was worth it! I was 15.

12. hookgrip

hookgrip

Sep 8, 2014
    My bass just cracked me across the mouth while I was putting the strap over my head.

Damn. Had to take a moment, it hurt so bad. Luckily all my teeth are present and accounted for, but this, coupled with the three near-death experiences I've had tripping over my cord make me wonder if my bass has it out for me. :eek:

JakeyBran likes this.
  13. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I think you need to work a bit longer on your technique. Just sayin ...

xgator4u likes this.
  14. Mudcat35

Mudcat35

Feb 21, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I tore a tendon in my ring finger of my fretboard hand. It swelled up immediately and really, really hurt. I finished. It never really healed; I can't use that finger much anymore now that arthritis has calcified the joint. I still play.

15. I dunno, I would probably try and figure out the CAUSE of the injury, and work towards PREVENTION.
    But hey what do I know?:cigar:

16. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I have never bled myself playing guitar or bass, I did have a guitar player who thought it was cool to not trim the string ends on his headstock and got poked in the eye by one of them on stage. It hurt so bad that I quit playing for about 30 seconds.

17. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    I broke my foot during a gig about 11 or so years ago.

18. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    This is why I always use wireless now.

19. 427826_323825294338912_729553854_n. Not bass but a goody. Back in my guitar playing days. I knew I banged the index finger on my picking hand but didn't realize it was cut wide open until a couple songs later and noticed a giant mess. People loved the "new paint job" until they got up close. It wasn't really a Slayer kinda crowd.

20. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    What Is Basal Joint Arthritis?
    Basal joint arthritis is the result of the wearing away of cartilage in the bones of the thumb. That’s why it is also known as thumb arthritis. The basal joint allows your thumb to move around so you can perform small motor tasks. Without plenty of cushioning cartilage, the bones become rough and grind over each other when you move, causing more joint damage. According to the Mayo Clinic, thumb arthritis is the most common form of osteoarthritis (wear-and-tear arthritis) of the hand. It can also be caused by injury to the thumb.
    (It can also be caused by playing bass for 50 years...)

heynorm likes this.