Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Instruction Software

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Nu2BassDave, Jun 1, 2003.

1. After a lifetime of being a roadie and just wishing I could play the Bass, i went out and bought my first Bass Guitar just a cuople of days ago.
    I'm having trouble finding an instructor, so I'm thinking that one of the computer-based software instructional packages just might turn the trick.

I'm open to any and all feedback on this, in addidtion to song's that an absolute true beginner should work on. (60's-80's rock)

Thanks...Dave:)

2. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Well, if no one else has feedback.....

I started last year, and while I wanted to use the Online lessons at http://www.activebass.com/
    I found that there were too many different theories on where to start. I finally just chose a book from Progressive publishing and worked through it. After finishing that, I chose a book on Blues Bass, which I found very helpful for playing along with CD's...

As for music suggestions: try some old Creedance Clearwater. If you know the songs at all they are very easy to follow.

Caution: be careful of Tabs. Some are a good starting point, but lot's of them are wrong and they do a poor job of communicating syncopation.

Good luck!

3. I agree with Dave. I once bought a cd instruction package, but found it too slow and bulky to use. I prefer the book/cd package. The first one I used, I can't remember the name, and just moved so I can't find it, had an orangish cover and a guy on it - if that helps. After working thru the whole book, I was well on my way.

Take it slow, and get a metronome....

Good luck,

Mark