1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Instructional material

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bass_extremes, Oct 1, 2008.

1. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Hey, Ive had alot of problems finding a good teacher in my area so I thought that I would look for some books ands the explain theory and groove concepts. So I was wondering if you could recommend me some books and dvds? I seen Norm Stocktons series grooving for heaven does anyone have these are they worth the money?

2. It's not a book, but depending on the level of skill and experience you have playing bass (you didn't really mention what you were looking for), I would strongly recommend www.studybass.com. It's set for beginners, but I personally found the site infinitly useful when I first started, so I might suggest checking it out.

It's also 100% free which is very rare when it comes to online lessons.

J

3. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    I would say as far a my technique goes I would be intermediate but when it comes to theory im a begginer. I started playing bass in school so I know the major scale and minor scale, and how to read music and thats about it.

4. ihassiphilus

ihassiphilus

Sep 30, 2008
    I'd reccomend stuff from Carol Kaye (excellent for theory), Ed Friendland's books (walking bass, bassist's toolbox or w/e) and Todd Johnson's DVDs (the technique and walking basslines 1 and perhaps 2).

5. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    www.workshoplive.com

I couldn't find a good teacher either. I found this site and it has been a godsend. Best bass lessons I've found online.