Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Instructional Videos Review

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by elbarax, Mar 15, 2006.

1. elbarax

elbarax

Jul 17, 2005
    Has anyone seen the following videos and what can you say about them (instructional value)?

- Jeff Berlin (Starlicks Video)
    - Nathan East Contemporary Electric Bass
    - Beaver Felton Superchops 4 bass Workout
    - Billy Sheehan Bass Techniques
    - John Pattitucci & Billy Sheehan Bass Chops (not sure of the title)

Thanks

2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    The Billy Sheehan Bass Technique is a usefull insight into his 3 three finger picking, harmonics, and tapping techniques.

3. I have the Jeff Berlin video.. there is some good info. but overall the video is pretty weak. He has wrestler Roddy Piper appear and the guy from Robo Cop. it's a complete waste of time when he could teaching something useful. His playing is amazing though.

I also have the beaver video..to put it nicely it SUCKS..I didn't really learn anything from it.

4. elbarax

elbarax

Jul 17, 2005
    thanks for the feedback guys, anymore reviews form the other videos?

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Get the Jaco Pastorius DVD (Modern Electric Bass) It's great :)

6. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    i second getting the jaco dvd...but for various reasons. Its not acctually a great dvd it terms of an in your face play this play that type video. Its more like an evening in a relaxed enviroment with a great bassplayer giving insights into what makes him tick and showing you some of his tricks. Its so damn interesting to watch and enjoy..and just to hear him play and comment on why he does what he does. On a more sobering note this was one of the last times he acctually got it together to do something positive before he acctually slid back into the world of drink and drugs ...and his demise.....this video is an historical document that every aspiring bassplayer should take time out to watch. Some of it will rub off. You will not be dissapointed.

7. elbarax

elbarax

Jul 17, 2005
    thanks zazz, i'll definitely look for this one.