Bass Instructional Videos

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Mar 19, 2001.

1. Okay, I was at the Mars "Superstore" today and was browsing in the videos/books section and a few videos caught my eye. The first was entitled "Fingerstyle Funk" and was taught by Francis Rocco Prestia (not sure if I spelled it right) from TOP and the other video was called "All Star Bass" (or something like that) and was taught by a bunch of different bassists such as Larry Graham and Maurice White. Anybody know if these videos are worth checking out, because they are pretty pricey. Thanks for your time and effort! :D
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"Fingerstyle Funk is a good pick. Prestia is joined by Alex Sklarevski. Prestia isn't a flash solo bassist, but he is one of the kings of groove.

Sklarevski also has THE all-time instructional slap video, "The Slap Bass Program." It's not cheap, but it's a classic.

I don't know anything about the "All Star Bass, " video.
  3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'll agree with Rick, the Rocco Prestia tape is a great groove instructional inspiration. Sadly, it doesn't cover any real instruction ground, just shows how he does what it is he does (and at that it's excellent). For basic instruction, I'd recommend the Dave LaRue tape instead, it covers a lot of basses (nyuck nyuck) well. The Sklarevski tape is like the bible of slap, covers almost everything there is to cover.
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I have the All Star Video, "Bass Techniques for Right Hand" which may be the one you mentioned. It has many prominent bass players including Larry Graham. There is also a similar "Bass Techniques for Left Hand" which also might be the one you saw.

The video is very interesting. You will learn some techniques, but I have videos that helped me far more. It is fun to get acquainted with these great studio bassists including one of my favorites, Nathan East.

I have some other videos that are even better, IMHO. Dave LaRue's video. Billy Sheehan's two videos. Roescoe Beck's two blues bass videos. These all offer much more. Also I have borrowed from a friend Stu Hamm's first video and that offers much more "meat" than the All Star video.

If you must choose between Francis Rocco Prestia and the All Star video, my instincts tell me to go with the Prestia video. I have a feeling it will have much more substance.

5. camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I have all the videos mentioned so far and they are all really good videos. The Rocco Prestia video smokes the All-Star series in my opinion. Rocco's style can be used in almost every style of music and will only help out any fingerstyle bass player out there. Also, the Alexis Sklarevski video is the difinitive video on contest. The Dave Larue video is very good. It shows you a lot of techniques and concepts and expects you to go and work on them on your own. So if you can't take a concept and work on it on your own, don't get the Dave Larue video. The Jaco and Victor Wooten videos are cool because you get to see them play a lot, and that's awesome enough....but they don't really teach a lot in them IMO. The Jeff Berlin video is cool, it teaches a little about soloing, shows a couple of his lines, and you get to see him play which is really cool...and for $20, good video for the money. I don't have the Roscoe Beck yet, but I heard that is very good. I like the Stu Hamm videos, but they are pretty advanced videos with pretty advanced techniques. If you don't like slap and tap, these are not for you. The Andy West video is almost a joke, but if you are into Captain Beefheart type might like it. I occasionally watch it every now and again to see if I just wasn't professional enough and I keep saying the same thing, but he is an incredible player and deserves a lot of respect...I just don't like his video. I have two Beaver Felton videos in the beginner to intermediate level, and he is also a very good teacher as well as a fine bass player...good videos for the beginner to intermediate. The Oscar Cartaya video is pretty cool because there aren't any other latin bass player videos and far as I know, and he is very good at it. It also is a $20 bargain. The Tony Smith video I really didn't like a lot, but I got it for like $12. Ok video even for $12 bucks IMO. The Tony Franklin video is good for the rare Rock/Fretless player out there, but he does make some good points and is a pioneer of Rock Fretless. I saw Louis Johnson's first video and he really just breaks down 12 really good slap lines, doesn't teach a lot beyond that though. I have Michael Manring's video bass essentials, and he basically does the exact opposite of the Dave Larue video. He has one very good concept and breaks it down almost too much for you. It teaches a finger exercise to teach your fingers independence and is good, but didn't need a 30 minute explanation. It is very cool to see him play if you never have and he does it at the beginning and the end of the tape. John Myung's video goes into the scales he uses and teaches mostly theory concepts, if you don't like that...this video will annoy you. You do get to see him play with Sherinian and Portnoy though. A good video, not great...good. I have a Chuck Rainey video, and I don't like it. He has this one right hand lick that he keeps going back to that is not practical at all, and that's all he talks about. You don't even get to see him jam either. Not my favorite video IMO. I have the first Billy Sheehan video and it shows a lot about his style, if that's what you are in to. The best thing I got out of that video was to wear you strap at the same height you practice sitting down, if you practice sitting down...because when you stand up you can't do some of the things standing up with your bass at your knees. I can't think of any other videos off hand, if anybody has any specific questions about any of these videos email me...and I will try to help.
  6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

As many people know here, i always recommend the Stu Hamm videos. Both are terrific, but don't get into the second if you have not "mastered" the first. Another great pick is Randy Coven video from Hot Licks. Randy is a phenomenal bassist and teaches useful stuff about modes, scales, slapping, tapping, strumming and other techniques. The only thing that i don't like from this tape is that the guy seems to be on acid or stuff like that. He even jokes when is talking about the left hand middle finger (he says "This one" while shows it to the camera and laughs. Crew laughing seems to be heard, also). Great video, anyway. Really worth checking out. :)