1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass instrument weight.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eight_Stringer, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Eight_Stringer

Eight_Stringer

Feb 22, 2009
    Australia
    Hello All,
    Just weighed my basses, as most of you know, the weight of some basses seem greater than others when your giging.
    The rick 4001 gives me left arm pain from pulling it up all night, the 75 P bass kills my shoulder from the dead weight, though at least i do not have to pull the neck up all night ala Rick. The Ibanez 8 string feels massive at first then you get used to it. The best of all is the Ibanez Destroyer II, the body counter weight on the right balences the neck weight 100% and i can free hand the bass and the neck stays where i play it...no wonder John E liked this shape! I'm converted.

Anyway here are the weights of the basses, you ladies and lads can add what yours weigh as you see fit.

Destroyer II 9lbs
    Rick 4001 ( mid 70's ) 10lbs
    Fender P-Bass 75 12lbs
    Ibanez ( late 70's ) 8 string. 12lbs

Month or so ago i saw a band and the bass player ( nice guy like the drummer ) was giging his 63 P-Bass!! Anyway i said the weight of my 75 P-Bass was awful, he let me hold his 63...i mean like half the weight of mine!! Can see why the 63's are sort for one reason or another.

Regards John

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

All the info you want is already online. Here's the thread...go to the end and download the Excel spreadsheet. I'll add to it if you and others add more instruments.

In your post above, what brand is a "Destroyer? Never heard of it...but the others have both brand name and model, so I can add them OK.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409213

3. Eight_Stringer

Eight_Stringer

Feb 22, 2009
    Australia
    Pilgrim, much obliged. Looked for similar topics and did not go far back enough i see, did wonder about why had not seen this information so far. Outright weight ( mass ) is one aspect, balence is another very different matter. Be it strap fixing point or overall balence, neck to body to pivot points.

Did read about 30% of the thread pointed to by your link, is balence covered as well as weight? If so then would ask a moderator to delete this thread. Otherwise it may be better to have a fresh topic on balence experience among the players here.

The Destroyer II is about a late 70's Ibanez bass, light in construction and light guage strings. Has anyone posted information as to weight/balence for the Ibanez SR300 and SR305?

Regards John

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Thanks for the comment - didn't address balance in my thread. That could easily be altered by changing tuners or adding covers...but hey, if you want to pursue it, that's what Ye Olde Internete is for!