1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Insurance?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by MDrost1, Jun 11, 2018.

  1. MDrost1

    MDrost1 Supporting Member

    Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI

    I am wondering who has insurance on their double bass? Which provider do you use?

    I have a 2003 Luciano Golia that I am considering insuring. I don’t usually take it out on gigs, however I am considering the idea.

    I am wondering what you all do?
  2. wathaet


    May 27, 2007
    My two main basses are insured, but not from theft from a car.
    Cost is about $1500 per year.
    My third bass is similar to your Golia and like yours it does not leave the house often so I have left it uninsured. I can take out temporary insurance on it if I were to ship it for some reason. I would recommend a company like Lark in London. I have had several big claims with them including a $20k repair and they gave me no trouble whatsoever including shipping too the other end of Europe to have it repaired.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    MDrost1 likes this.
  3. I have a policy with Anderson Group of Sebring, Florida. I can insure up to $20,000 worth of instruments under a single policy. It runs me $250/year. No complaints. (But I've never had to file a claim, either.) Hope this helps!
    mtto and MDrost1 like this.
  4. wathaet


    May 27, 2007
    I know several people who were very happy until claimtime came around. You really want a company that deals with musical instruments specifically and has a good reputation with claims. I consider myself as somewhat of an expert after three broken necks. Lark is probably the biggest high end instrument insurer worldwide. $250 for 20k about the same as Lark.
    csrund likes this.
  5. dperrott


    Oct 3, 2005
    I have Anderson insurance and have made 2 claims and it was pretty easy. I have all my gear insured, bows, pickups, amps, electric basses. I've known so many musicians who have had major accidents, theft or what ever and no insurance.
    MDrost1 likes this.
  6. Carl Hillman

    Carl Hillman

    Jan 1, 2010
    I have all my gear insured with Mercer Consumer through the American Federation of Musicians.

    Annual premiums for a $14.5K bass are around 150 bucks.
    MDrost1 likes this.
  7. If you own your home, your homeowners' insurance *may* cover the contents. My policy tops out at $1 million for personal property within the home. If you rent, get renters' insurance. Like, now. Members of my family just lost their housing via fire and they weren't insured. Total loss. Don't let that nightmare happen to you.
  8. wathaet


    May 27, 2007
    In general it is not a good idea to use homeowners insurance. You can get seriously shafted.
  9. fu22ba55

    fu22ba55 Supporting Member

    Apr 16, 2009
    I use Heritage Insurance. Their fine-instrument policy is $250 per year for 25K worth of coverage with zero deductible. Doesn't cover general wear & tear, theft from unlocked car, or "acts of war", but covers everything else. Have luckily never needed to file a claim. Heritage Insurance was recommended to me by Kolstein's shop in NYC (Long Island), since he says they are easy to deal with when filing claims.
    csrund likes this.
  10. Tom Lane

    Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

    The past couple of years I've been using MusicPro because their policy covers damage done by airlines - many don't. $10K of coverage is $150 per year. I haven't yet made a claim - now watch I just jinxed it! I also found them very responsive and competent when I asked questions about their policy.
    Earl, MDrost1 and csrund like this.
  11. Yes, I concur. I was advised that my instrument(s) wouldn't be covered under my homeowners policy if they were damaged while being used professionally (e.g. In transit, at the venue... outside the home, in other words.) Serious due diligence in determining policy terms and limits is important; one shouldn't assume anything.

    (By the way, @wathaet , three broken necks(!)... you’ve lived through more than your fair share of pain and suffering. Were any of those courtesy of the airlines?)
  12. Chris Fitzgerald

    Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

    Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I use Clarion. Haven’t had to make a claim yet.
    MDrost1 likes this.
  13. mtto

    mtto Supporting Member

    May 25, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you're an ISB member, Anderson gives you a deal.
  14. Phil Rowan

    Phil Rowan Supporting Member

    Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I’ve used Heritage for years now, and had to file a claim once. Great and prompt service all around.
  15. wathaet


    May 27, 2007
    A good clue is checking if they have any special conditions for flying or going abroad. If these are not right, chances are the rest of the policy is unsuitable.

    As for necks, all three (technically four) were broken by airlines. One was a Hachez, one was a six figure English bass and one was a Derazey. The Derazey neck came off again the week after getting it back from the shop, but came off clean.
    Cases were Gage, Stevenson and one I cannot recall.
  16. StatesideRambler


    Jul 1, 2015
    I've never filed a claim so I can't address that, but my agent asked me to list those instruments that I might file a claim for due to a loss (theft, breakage, fire/flood, earthquake). She issued another page on my homeowner policy that specifically includes them. There was a premium increase but it was reasonable. A caveat, though, is that being a full time professional musician may limit or disallow that coverage under a homeowner policy. Be sure to ask.
  17. I was specifically advised that my equipment was covered because I don’t take it out of the house any more, being retired.
    csrund likes this.
  18. basspraiser

    basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

    Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I have a "personal articles" Rider on my home insurance policy for my instruments... Collectibles...jewely and guns.

    No deductible and 100% replacement cost....but it only covers damage in the house...

    I guess any gig damage would be caused " by a drunk guest in my house"....
    Winoman likes this.
  19. basspraiser

    basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

    Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Not for full value and you still have to meet your deductible... Look into a "personal property" articles policy.. Cheap coverage
    Winoman likes this.

Share This Page