1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass insurance

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by FredH, Apr 1, 2005.

  1. I insured my bass as a rider to my house insurance policy at the suggestion of my bass repair guy (I’m still figuring out the irony in that). At any rate, my bass got accidentally kick by a dancer last Friday night (no damage luckily) and I am reevaluating my insurance policy.

    Can anyone suggest a good instrument specific insurance policy?
  2. Jazzman


    Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
  3. I would like to recommend Lark insurance company. They're from the UK and they're great to deal with...
    I'm living in Denmark so the only contact I've had with them is by e-mail and snail-mail, they are very fast with their replies.

    Their cover is great. I had to deal them only once, with a massive repair on my bass because I dropped it on the ground while I was taking it out of my van. They covered all the repairing costs, which was about 7000,- usd, without any questions.

    I even think they will pay for renting a bass while your own is being repaired, but I'm not 100%.

    I pay about 150,- usd a year for a full cover of my german 1970's bass, that's a good deal.

    all in all they're great, cheap, fast, and very nice people...

    (I just love it when they send me those very important looking papers, written in almost not-understandable business-english, just saying they have a new partner in their home insurance section.)

    Well just my experiences with them, highly recommended.

    Mr. Engberg. Denmark.
  4. Seven THOUSAND dollars? For a repair? What did they have to do?
  5. a. meyer

    a. meyer

    Dec 10, 2004
    portland, oregon
    I also use Merz-Huber, and I get the discounted rate through the American String Teachers Association, which is $35 a year. I broke the frog of my bow a few years back, and M-H paid for a new frog with no argument.
  6. Hi Jeff...

    I just found out that I made a wrong calculation from Danish Kroner to US dollars, the repair costed about 6100,- USD. Sounds more real?

    They had to take the whole bass apart to repair a big crack in the front, new bassbar, new soundpost, new bridge. They also had to put the neck back on, as it was seperated from the body... I think they also made the connection between the body and the neck, (What do you call it?), from scratch, because it wasn't made well originally.

    I tell you it wasn't pretty when I brought to the shop, but now it's great looking and great playing. :hyper:

    Mr. Engberg. Denmark
  7. Monte


    Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    Seconded. Reasonably priced, and they handled the bandmate of a buddy of mine well when they had tour coverage and needed it.

  8. CamMcIntyre


    Jun 6, 2000
    I've called Clarion-IIRC, it was quite a bit more expensive than Music Pro. I'm thinking one of them quoted me closer to $120 for about $12k worth of equipment and the other was about $500 a year. I'm still on the fence about this stuff, the idea of having my bass equipment in a big city, i think i would feel better if i insured my gear. [I will be in Chicago for college in a few months]
  9. winston


    May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I use MusicPro Insurance. Haven't had to make a claim, but they seem pretty competent.

    Cam--where are you going to college in Chicago? I'm a proud dropout of the DePaul University music school.
  10. KSB - Ken Smith

    KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

    Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I have insured my Basses individually in my earlier days but now I attach it to my Business. I don't know if it costs extra because with a Business, unless a Bomb hits my building, you dont' lose everything all at once. I can only carry so much at a time so that avoids huge amounts of insurance costs.

    I am told I am covered up to $50,000. (50K) for each item. That works for me with the exception of my Gilkes Bass. I rarely take it out but when I do, I guard it all night long. If I want to insure it for more, I need to pay for a seperat 'Rider' policy. If it was the only Bass I had to use, I would do just that. Currently I have been using my Morelli which is the least valuable of the 3 working Basses I have with the Martini being just at the max insurance mark.

    As far as repairs go, 7k or even $6,100. is not alot for a big repair or restoration. The Morelli was just repaired, modified and improved with an Ext. for about 9K. The Bass was strung up when I got it and had 2 big cracks in the front.. Imagine if it was worse what it could cost. I have a HUGE old English Bass (we think) in restoration right now getting a bit more work than the Morelli to say the least. I expect that job to rub 12-15K. I have seen many old Italian Basses that could use 20-25k restorations.

    In 1973 I spent around 3k to restore my old Italian Bass. I think a House was about 20-40k back then.. You can do the math.....

    Again, for the the Insurance, see if you can get a Rider on your home owners insurance. Also, get the policy to cover replacement and not cost. Basses go up all the time in cost. This will cost a little extre but well worth it if you have it totally destroyed, lost or stolen.
  11. CamMcIntyre


    Jun 6, 2000
    Roosevelt-CCPA. I'm stoked, i'm realizing i need more gear while needing less amp.
  12. Thanks for the info, lots to look over. My luthier(sp?) thanks you.
  13. Bob Rogers

    Bob Rogers Left is Right

    Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    It would seem to me that you are really reevaluating your homowner's policy. If they won't have damage to your bass professionally assessed and pay a fair amount, they won't be fair on damage to the rest of your house.

    However, most homeowner's policies will not cover damage that occured during professional activities. If this was a paid gig you would be out of luck on my policy. Be sure you have it clear.
  14. You might need to use caution with this approach. I looked into gear insurance pretty extensively a while ago (with Allstate and later with Amica) and discovered that homeowners' policy coverage typically won't cover you if you make any money playing.

    The way I understood it is that if you make money playing, your homeowners' policy would cover a loss that occurred at your home or at/en-route to some other non-commercial location. Considering that the biggest risks exist on the way to or at the gig, that wouldn't provide much peace of mind. If I remember correctly, musician's insurance will cover you at home, too.

    Of course your situation, insurance company, insurance agent, etc., may be very different than mine, but that was what I learned when I delved deep into the details.

    Even with musicians' insurance there can be some pretty important differences among policies. Some won't cover you if you expereince a loss while the gear is in your car, while others will only not cover you if the gear is left unattended in your car. Some policies are stingy with what they define as a replacement, which could be a pretty painful game of semantics when they want to replace your dearly departed $50,000 Amati with a $500 eBay special! The point of all of this is to RTFP (read the farking policy), ask plenty of questions until you feel comfortable with what you're buying, and finally make sure that what is on the policy lines up with any verbal promises or clarifications that you receive from an agent.

    I would hate for someone to have a most unpleasant surprise after thinking they were protected...