1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Insurance

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Talganoth, May 9, 2006.

1. Talganoth

Talganoth

May 5, 2006
    I'm heading off to college this fall and have been told to get new insurance for my basses (I have 3 standups and an electric), and need to know If I should get them appraised or what. I have an old 1930's 3/4 Kay from my Great-Grandfather (few minor repairs will be fixed this summer, but otherwise in good condition), a 1/4 Englehardt Junior Maestro (great condition), a 3/4 or 7/8 Unnamed brand (bought in a Music Market in South Korea, great condition, mellow sound), and a Fender Squier (made in Indonesia, perfect condition). How should I go about getting insurance on them? For reference, I live about 3 miles north of the Middle-of-Nowhere, Missouri. So any ideas would be appreciated.

2. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    If you would like insurance to cover repair as well as replacement if the instrument is destroyed, i suggest you consult a company who deals specifically with instrument insurance. If you are only interested in replacement, it is possible to get a rider on your home-owner's or renter's insurance for very very little money.

3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Most bass/violin shops (and many string players) are are covered by Clarion or Heritage. Both companies have affordable rates, and they know what the hell they are talking about, which is important if you should ever have to file a claim.

4. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
  5. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I talked to my insurance agent (homeowner & auto) about this. He told me if you use your gear to make money, then it's a whole different ballgame trying to cover it w/ your homeowner's insurance. He talked me out of it basically.

MusicPro costs about $1 for every $100 worth of gear, but I think there's a minimum premium.